Valued Contributor

Question For Those Of Us Who Get Our Mail Through A Post Office Box

I live on Cape Cod, where up to half of the residents flee down South for the winter. Many of us Year-Rounders live in rentals, where we would have to share a mailbox with our landlords. It is just easier for us to get a box at our local Post Office. This is the first time I have primarily gotten my mail through a P.O. box.

I have found that I am discriminated against:

I can virtually enter no contests or sweepstakes unless I give them my "real" address.

If a company ships only to the street address, I take my chances that someone will come along & swipe it, because most of the time FedEx/UPS refuses to come around to the back of the house to deliver it to the door of my apartment above the garage.

Despite having this P.O. box for 12 years, I still get mail in my landlord's mailbox, and have missed important mail and have even had to call bill collectors in the past to do damage control. (Yes, I have learned now to check the box once a week - my landlord lives in Boston, and doesn't get down to the Cape very often - and I'm still amazed at the mail I get from companies I have told countless times to mail to my P.O. box.

Does anyone out there know why people just don't get why some of us have to have a P.O. box in order to get our mail?