Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question For My Fellow Southpaws

@Love my grandkids  I always put my right sock on first, too.  I am very left handed, do just about nothing with my right hand.

I wear my fitbit on my right wrist because it's clumsy to try to put it on my left wrist with my right hand. Makes sense right?

I've read that only 10% of left-handed people are completely lefthanded.  Most do some things with their right hand.  I'm one of the 10% who are completely left-handed (and proud of it).

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

I do most everything with my left hand. 

I do kick a ball and bat with my right-weird.

I am terrible about directions too! And reading maps-like looking in a mirror backwards and trying to figure it out.Ironing and cutting is hard because of the cords and the way scissors are.And writing, the pen smears.

I'm so glad my mother didn't force me to be right handed which was the norm back in the day,

though one of my aunts got by-they are both left handed too.

We all know left handed people are special!😁I guess you could debate special in what way lol but that's ok too!

I wear my watch always on my left wrist. It feels weird on the right.

@on the bay 

Yep, glad my mom was against forcing me to become right handed....the schools really tried to force it on us!

Aren't we supposed to be more creative too...😁 Well my sister and friends always ask me to help them  decorate their homes for the different seasons......I do cross stitch and embroider, and used to paint when I was a teen....and do like to color...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Malcontent wrote:

@Linmo 

My husband and I both write kinda upside down/bent around so that we don’t smear the ink or end up with the side of our left hand smeared with pencil lead (like back in our school days).

@Malcontent @Linmo 

Check this out---- the elementary school (3rd grade) I had been going to was not going to teach cursive until after Spring Break, but we moved and my new school had already taught cursive back in September, so the lazy teacher just threw a book at me and said "learn how to write" so I had to teach myself, so my cursive writing style is unique even for me a left hander ....It always irritated me that I just made B's in writing throughout elementary school because of this (never got a chance to learn properly)...and yes your right the ink always smeared on my left hand....🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

We correct handed people just approach most stuff differently than our less fortunate right handed brethren!  I'm sure that everyone has seen the old chestnut about "If the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body....then only left handed people are in their right mind!"

This right-minded orientation is supposedly the reason lefties are generally considered to me more likely to be creative, artistic, and drawn to or exel at things in those areas.

This is certainly true for me.  I loved everything to do with the liberal and fine arts in school.  However, math and science were like kryptonite and ebola to me.

When I give directions, I give them the way I would prefer to get them....

Instead of "Take I95 to I93 and then go x miles until you see exit so and so...."

I would say ""Go up Main St. and over the green bridge until you come to Arby's

then take a left and go as far as Valvoline Oil Change..."   See?  I use visual landmarks 

not numerical markers.

And oh, BTW, I put my left sock and shoe on first, iron left handed, bat left, throw left,

carve a roast lefty but eat dinner knife righty and use scissors righty because that was the only alternative we had growing up.  LEFT ON, EVERYBODY!!!

@781Florist 

Although I did well in Science, MATH was just a NIGHTMARE for me too.....ARRRGGHHH!!! 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

So your a lefty too....😃 That was funny about the directions....I'm just horrible, I have to use landmarks to get around...dont know east from west or north from south when traveling and cant judge miles that GPS gives you either...LOL 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

So your a lefty too....😃 That was funny about the directions....I'm just horrible, I have to use landmarks to get around...dont know east from west or north from south when traveling and cant judge miles that GPS gives you either...LOL 

I'm kind of a hybrid. I'm a natural lefty with writing and whatnot, but after losing my right eye at age six, things like hitting a baseball had to be done from a right-handed stance, so I can do most things pretty well with either hand. 

As to my sense of direction, you can plop me down anywhere and I'll know how to get where we're going. It's a natural skill that certainly wasn't passed down to me by anyone in my family.

My brother was another landmark driver too. If he gave you directions to get someplace, they'd include something like "Look for a milepost marker that's bent to the right and turn left at the next intersection." Uh, okay. I had to rescue my brother from a maze of mirrors at the shore on a couple of occasions when he'd get lost and couldn't find his way out. 

GPS kind of drives me a bit crazy as it doesn't always take you in the straightest line. (At least locally.) If I'm using GPS I have to sort of ignore my internal compass that keeps saying, "We're going the wrong way" and trust the GPS. It gets you there, but it's often calculating things like traffic and delays to route you around them, where my gut says go straight to the place. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!