Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question About Tipping in a Restaurant

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@BirkiLady, you don't need to haul a bunch of coupons around to avail yourself of discount somewhere. If you receive one for a restaurant you like or might want to try, just slip that coupon into your handbag.

I'm old enought to still remember and use paper coupons at my supermarket along with digital (ha...those you don't have to carry!). I generally have two or three in a little flat velcro-closing pouch that takes up no room at all. I save tons.

And I can't even begin to imagine how much money I've saved in my life just from taking advantage of such offers.

But hey, if you demand full price, that's the way for you to go.

Yes, and a lot of "coupons" and discounts are on their website (or provided by text or email), and all you have to do is show it on your phone or provide a code.  It's not that difficult, IMO, to put a piece of paper in a wallet, but very often I don't even have to do that.

To each her own, but I would always rather save money when there's an opportunity to do so.

Respected Contributor

I give tips based on full price menu- no question.
I do watch the suggested calculations because sometimes they include tax in their calculations- that’s not right.
Serving is hard work when done right.
Frequent Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I always tip on the full amount (prior to discount) as well.  But this made me ask another question.

Let's say we have two diners - at separate tables.  One orders an inexpensive meal.  The other an expensive meal.  They both have the exact same number of plates, drinks, etc.  Neither requires special service - same number of trips to the table.  Why does the server "deserve" a higher tip for the more expensive meal?  

Many states tax servers on their sales, so they are essentially "paying" more on the higher priced meal in this scenario, hence the percentage tip.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Venezia  Nope, I hate coupons and never take them into a store or restaurant or any place else. Once there, if the store offers this discount I'll take it. But I'm not about to carry a bunch of coupons around with me. 

ETA: FOR ALL POSTERS - Be prepared for food prices to rise. Nebraska is #1 and #2 in agriculature and beef. We're been hit very hard by flooding. Our farmers have lost huge numbers of cattle and their farmland is destroyed. Sounds like the beautiful, fertile black soil has been washed away and sand has taken its place. Doubt many family farms will survive this disaster and our state may never return to its once beautiful landscape and bountiful harvests or grazing pastures. It's so painful for families who have worked 24/7 on once-rich, black soil for many generations to see them searching for livestock, silos of grain, their homes, and a bit of tilable cropland.

Please don't complain when grocery prices rise. It isn't the farmer who is at fault; Mother Nature and the "perfect storm" had an unbelievable fury in Nebraska and surrounding states.

Factually, California is number one in agricultural production followed by Iowa then Nebraska. 

The flooding is terrible for sure. I was born in a state with that rich, black soil. I understand how devastating it is to lose it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2  We've apparently read different statistics! Oh well, close. The results will be the same: food prices will rise. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.