Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Tipping in a Restaurant

@cactusgal wrote:

I tip on what the regular price would be. How about tipping at an All you can eat buffet were you serve yourself?

@cactusgal - in that situation where we’ve done most of the work, we tip, but not as much. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh  Thats what I thought, and thank you for your quick response Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I always tip on the full amount (prior to discount) as well.  But this made me ask another question.

Let's say we have two diners - at separate tables.  One orders an inexpensive meal.  The other an expensive meal.  They both have the exact same number of plates, drinks, etc.  Neither requires special service - same number of trips to the table.  Why does the server "deserve" a higher tip for the more expensive meal?  

@Isobel Archer 

I don't know if this applies in all cases, but a friend's daughter is in college and works part time at a more upscale restaurant and she said she shares tips with the cook....the more expensive meal, more expensive ingredients, more skill required in preparation of the dish thus bigger tip which is shared with cook........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I tip on the pre discount amount.  

Honored Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

I tip on what the regular price would be. How about tipping at an All you can eat buffet were you serve yourself?

i do tip in that situation also. the staff are often getting you drinks, clearing your table periodically, and asking if you need anything.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We tip on the menu price or before discount. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I always tip on the full amount (prior to discount) as well.  But this made me ask another question.

Let's say we have two diners - at separate tables.  One orders an inexpensive meal.  The other an expensive meal.  They both have the exact same number of plates, drinks, etc.  Neither requires special service - same number of trips to the table.  Why does the server "deserve" a higher tip for the more expensive meal?  

I would turn this around - why tip the lower amount?  The price of the dish is only one component in tipping.  tip for the service.  if you only see the server to take the order, serve the meal, bring the check, that is minimum.  if they stop by several time to refill drinks, special requests, tip more.

Honored Contributor

I put this out to some friends who have worked for tips (including myself and one of my boys). Consensus?

Tip on the meal before the discount but not including tax for GOOD service.

Tip on the meal after the discount but not including tax for POOR service.

Honored Contributor

we have lots of friends in the restaurant industry......owners and staff.

always remember that many servers also have to tip out other people......the bartenders, the busboys, and sometimes even the cooks. some restaurants even have the tips pooled so that all servers get the same amount, whether they are collecting good tips or not so good tips.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I also base my tip on the amount before the discount and also include the tax.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown