Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Tipping in a Restaurant

We always tip on the price of the meal, not the discount price. Why should the waitstaff be deprived of their money?

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

With more and more restaurants in our area offering "preferred customer cards," sending out e-mail discounts, etc. I have a question about something.

When DH and I go out and use a discount, we always add the discount back on when it is time to tip the server. One of my friends doesn't think this is necessary. What do you think? TIA! Smiley Happy

I tip based on the total before the discount is applied. I don't feel the server tip should be reduced because I used a coupon. Until it's time to pay the bill, they don't know the customer is using a coupon, I would hope they give their usual level of service. 

Respected Contributor

I tip on the full amount of the meal, before any discount is applied or taxes added. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Wouldn’t it be common sense to tip before discount?

The server is doing the same job/service disregarding the 

price of the meal.

Seriously...people think otherwise?!

wow. 

Esteemed Contributor

We eat out often and are good tippers.  I always tip  on the price before discount.  I do not however, tip on the tax.....jmo.    We do always get a bottle of wine and many restaurants do not come over to pour, which is fine.  I do include the wine price in the gratuity though.  I was a waitress in college so I get it.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

I never take a coupon or use a senior citizen discount. I pay the price on the menu, the sales tax and add the 20% tip. If you need a discount coupon to dine out, perhaps you better eat at home. Those employees are still working just as hard for you. 

The business is offering the discount becuse it finds it in their interst to sell at that price.  perhaps you don't understand this and miss out on discounts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The amount before the discount....

Related image

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

I never take a coupon or use a senior citizen discount. I pay the price on the menu, the sales tax and add the 20% tip. If you need a discount coupon to dine out, perhaps you better eat at home. Those employees are still working just as hard for you. 

Not me.  If I have a discount coupon.....anywhere....I’m using it. O’Charleys emailed me a 20% off coupon and we’re having lunch there today.  No “harm” to the employees.  I’ll take the 20% off thank you very much and will tip on the full amount.   I don’t “need” a discount coupon to eat out, but if I found a dollar bill sitting in a random parking lot, I’d pick that up also,  I’m not leaving that coupon unused if we’re going there anyway.  That doesn’t make sense to me. 

Corporate has built using that coupon into their numbers. 

I also use the 20% off coupons at Bed Bath and Beyond and coupons at Macy’s, Talbots, etc.  a local gift shop did an open house on Saturday, 10% off the entire store. I bought several small items. I will pay full price, but if there are coupons to be used, I’m using them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I always tip on the full amount (prior to discount) as well.  But this made me ask another question.

Let's say we have two diners - at separate tables.  One orders an inexpensive meal.  The other an expensive meal.  They both have the exact same number of plates, drinks, etc.  Neither requires special service - same number of trips to the table.  Why does the server "deserve" a higher tip for the more expensive meal?  

Valued Contributor

I tip on what the regular price would be. How about tipping at an All you can eat buffet were you serve yourself?