Respected Contributor

Re: Question About Tipping in a Restaurant

We do the tip based on the subtotal before the discount, tax, and other charges.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

With more and more restaurants in our area offering "preferred customer cards," sending out e-mail discounts, etc. I have a question about something.

When DH and I go out and use a discount, we always add the discount back on when it is time to tip the server. One of my friends doesn't think this is necessary. What do you think? TIA! Smiley Happy

not even a question,  in fact, many places say in small print please tip on full amount.  not the waitpersons decision to offer a discount on the food .  

reached a stage in my life where I think being chintzy in tipping is just wrong, 

there isn't much difference between 15/20% and your waiter or hairdresser really needs the money so unless the service is completely unacceptable  I do 20%

Honored Contributor

I always tip on the full amount after taxes.

Respected Contributor

When my daughter was in college and worked as a server part time it really opened my eyes to how little they make before tips and how exhausting the job can be if you’re a good server. So I always tip well. 

Honored Contributor

We tip on the amount before the discount or coupon is applied.

Super Contributor

Tip on the pre discounted amount . Labor and delivery is the same . Some people don’t it stinks for the servers. I tip on the whole amount, tax included & usually round Up.  

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

I never take a coupon or use a senior citizen discount. I pay the price on the menu, the sales tax and add the 20% tip. If you need a discount coupon to dine out, perhaps you better eat at home. Those employees are still working just as hard for you. 

@BirkiLady , I agree with you about tipping.😊  But I wouldn’t  punish myself by never eating out because I don’t have a big pocketbook.  I love eating out, it’s part of what I do to stay happy but I have to budget.  I would think that being in the restaurant using a senior discount and giving a tip is better than a patron not coming at all.  Twenty percent of something is better than nothing.  Even on marginal service, we tip.

I belong to a restaurant wine club and one of the perks/incentives for joining is that my husband and I get $15 off of our meals during our birthday months and rewards points that accrue towards $25 off of a future meal.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

We Always tip on the pre-discount price. That is the correct thing to do.  20% is our starting point. We add more for great service. Wait staff work very hard for the money. We appreciate that hard work.

Honored Contributor

Yes, definitely tip based on the amount before the discount.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think using a coupon implies the person cannot afford to eat out either.