Respected Contributor

Re: Question About Social Security

I think a year is a little advanced to apply.  I did it about 3 to 4 month ahead. I did it on line and it was very simple and easy.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreeYears ago you couldn't apply more than 6 months in advance of your elegibility and you had to apply at least 3 months ahead of that same date to begin getting payments when you want them.

I've been on SS for lots of years now -  those paramenters could have changed.

Honored Contributor

I think if you’re drawing Social Security, isn’t there a limit to how much you can draw in salary if you’re still working?  Something @$15,000 a year comes to my mind.  If you make more than that, there’s a penalty or something????

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went online and filled out all my information there.  I did mine three months before I retired.  SS followed up with a phone call to confirm the information I had entered online was correct.  That was it.  I received my benefits exactly when they told me I would.  So easy.  I would suggest three to six months prior to his retirement. 

ETA:  If he isn't planning on retiring, I can't help you there.  I mistakenly assumed he was retiring.  Sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I think if you’re drawing Social Security, isn’t there a limit to how much you can draw in salary if you’re still working?  Something @$15,000 a year comes to my mind.  If you make more than that, there’s a penalty or something????

@gidgetgh After full retirement age I don’t believe there is a limit on earnings.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@drizzellla   Why would they ask you about your retirement plans? DH has no plans to retire.He just wants to start collecting his SS because their is no longer a benefit in waiting.I’m a bit confused by why they would care!

You have to "retire" in order to begin collecting your SS benefit.  He could still work after that, though.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

It's very easy to do online. However, if he feels more comfortable doing it in person, call to make an appointment. That's much better than begin a walk in. Both my husband and I did ours online with no hassle at all.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gidgetgh After full retirement age I don’t believe there is a limit on earnings.

@esmerelda - thanks!  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My DH will be turning 70 this year.He’s still working full time so he isn’t on Medicare yet. Our medical is covered by his employers insurance .

Here’s my question. How far in advance of his birthday does he need to apply to begin receiving his social security benefit. Does he have to go down to the SS office or can he do it online? Is the process complicated if he does it online?

Thank you.

@NicksmomESQ Go on the site and read.  People here are well intentioned but will give you lots of different answers, some from long ago.  Things change.

Go read!  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

SS and Medicare are extremely confusing, please check directly with them! That said, DH needed to sign up for Medicare Part A, even if he is covered by employer insurance, or he pays a higher rate later when he does sign up. I have a wonderful agent who made navigating through all of the various plans very clear, I recommend that highly!  Your DH can collect SS without a penalty, since he’s full retirement age. These things I know because I’m still working and started collecting one month after 66. I signed up online 1 month before my birthday, and the benefit started paying one month after. By the way, if he pays for part of the insurance through his employer, you may want to still check the Medicare plans. I found that I am paying less for Medicare with a supplemental than I did through my husbands employer insurance for the same coverage.