Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Medicare Gap Plans

@SXMGirl   Possibly you can find an insurance broker in your area to discuss different plans with you...that is what I did..there is no charge and he also helped me with a drug plan.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl   Info is also in your "Medicare & You" booklet.  Gap plans are under the Medicare Supplement Ins section. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I already have an excellent plan with my state since I was a state employee.  All I wanted to do was see what the additional 34.50 a month would provide in place of the vision and dental plans that I already have.  It would seem that this would be something easy to do, especially since I already have coverage with Highmark.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl      Yes, you would think it would be easy! My dh also has a plan thru the state as a retired employee.  

He gets a booklet each year showing what he paid during the current year and what he will pay for the new year...along with any other changes.  The booklet is very helpfull.  

There is also a telephone number that he can call and they will go over the plan with him if he wants to switch or has any questions or concerns.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@geezerette  Yes, I clicked on that I did not have a plan, but I need one in order to see the additional coverage.  I do have their supplement, but they do not ask for my policy or goup number.  They do not make it easy.

@SXMGirl 

No, many don't.  When I was looking at supplement plans, I also found that a lot of insurance websites just didn't give the details I was looking for. 

Honored Contributor

There is definitely a difference. One is you are on the goverment's Medicare (with the red white and blue ID card) and you pay for (in addition to Medicare) a Medigap Plan with an approved private insurance co to pay for the 20% not covered by Medicare and also pay separately for a prescription drug plan and vision and dental.

All other plans are private insurance co plans that Medicare allows to handle medical insurance for them. Those are usually much cheaper than Medicare and include prescription drugs and possibly dental and vision. But you get what you pay for and the cheaper the cost, the worse the coverage and the more restrictions such as geographic restrictions on who you can go to get medical care or which in-network docs and hospitals you can use (more like HMOs). It is all very complex and there are many choices. It is a nightmare deciding what to do.
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Mom2Dogs  I already have an excellent plan with my state since I was a state employee.  All I wanted to do was see what the additional 34.50 a month would provide in place of the vision and dental plans that I already have.  It would seem that this would be something easy to do, especially since I already have coverage with Highmark.

@SXMGirl

You may want to call your provider and ask about the additional coverage for 34.50.

My Medicare provider would not call me they would send a letter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg  I asked them to email me the info, but I was told to look on the website.  I have a number and will call it tomorrow.  Hopefully, I will get my questions answered.  I am starting to have hearing difficulty, which I explained to the rep, which is why I wanted the info either mailed to me or emailed (my preference).  To me, that would have been so much better and more convenient.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Medigap IS the Medicare Supplement Plan; 2 names, same thing.