Honored Contributor

Re: Queen Makes Kate Middleton Patron Of Wimbledon

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Hmmmm, I'd guess this comes more under the heading of 'duty' than 'honor'. It's expected, I guess, that someone 'royal' do the job so why not assign it to the newbie, who does appear to be a bit of a lightweight compared to some of the more senior royals...

Woman Wink

The other more senior royals don't have two children under the age of three to take care of!

But they did at one time and still seemed to manage their royal 'duties'. Princess Anne has been an utter workhorse since her younger days and I believe she too had several chidren... Diana, when she was still 'royal', certainly pulled her weight and also managed to raise two boys... Kate, on the other hand, seems merely to enjoy all the royal trappings and benefits and perhaps the perception is that it's time she did a bit more to earn them. She knew what the expectations would be when she chose to marry into the monarchy.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Hmmmm, I'd guess this comes more under the heading of 'duty' than 'honor'. It's expected, I guess, that someone 'royal' do the job so why not assign it to the newbie, who does appear to be a bit of a lightweight compared to some of the more senior royals...

Woman Wink

The other more senior royals don't have two children under the age of three to take care of!

But they did at one time and still seemed to manage their royal 'duties'. Princess Anne was an utter workhorse in her younger days and I believe she too had several chidren... Diana, when she was still 'royal', certainly pulled her weight and also managed to raise two boys... Kate, on the other hand, seems merely to enjoy all the royal trappings and benefits and perhaps the perception is that it's time she did a bit more to earn them.

@stevieb

That doesn't make it right, but merely what other royals chose to do in different times.   Charles was off having an affair so Diana tried to keep busy.

If Kate wants to be a hands on mother when her kids are small, then let William do double duty.   Or not.   Elizabeth went for a period of six months where she didn't see Charles when he was small ... and look at what a poor excuse for a human being that he turned into!  Ugh.

Whether or not Kate shows up somewhere and waves at a bunch of people is irrelevant in the overall scheme of things.  If she wants to stay close to her children for now, so be it.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Tha't probably only slightly better than Keeper of the Royal Toilet Tissue....lol  

The argument could be made that they are all glorified ribbon cutters.  

What I'm wondering is whatever happened to Charles' sister, Princess Anne?   I'm sure she's still getting a nice, fat allowance.   

Princess Anne is off doing something just about everyday

she doesn't get the press the others do.

Well, I suppose that's a possibility, but I haven't seen anything on her in about 20 years .... I was beginning to suspect she had died many years ago, and I just didn't see it in the news.

Respected Contributor

Personally I have never seen the fascination with the "royals".  Seems like they have made a fortune off of their country and live like they want to.  Until something changes, nothing changes LOL.  As far as Kate or Anne, doesn't matter at all what they do.  Ultimately the Queen is the one who holds that key and seemingly she is content with their duties or lack thereof.  I don't think she gets a "pass" because she has small children at home.  If you read all of the help she has, there should be time for other duties.  But, really doesn't mean a lot to me.

Honored Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:

Kate will be gracious. The Queen really must love her. 

Interesting news.  The Queen absolutely hates tennis.  despises it.  Will not attend unless a British subject is in the finals.  Diana loved it.  Both her sons are tennis fans as well.  So it was an extra nice gesture on her part.  I'm an avid tennis fan myself.  So it was nice of her to do that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Woman Wink

But they did at one time and still seemed to manage their royal 'duties'. Princess Anne has been an utter workhorse since her younger days and I believe she too had several chidren... Diana, when she was still 'royal', certainly pulled her weight and also managed to raise two boys... Kate, on the other hand, seems merely to enjoy all the royal trappings and benefits and perhaps the perception is that it's time she did a bit more to earn them. She knew what the expectations would be when she chose to marry into the monarchy.

@stevieb  And you have no idea how much time Anne spent with her children when they were young.  Are you really keeping track of all of Kate's engagements so you can conclude she's a slacker?   How many royal duties are Edward and Andrew doing?  I never see them at things, although Andrew occasionally makes the news for his playboy-ish life of leisure. Personally  I'd rather the adult and more senior royals such as Edward and Andrew and Anne do more of their own mum's royal duties  and let the Queen's granddaughter-in-law Kate stay home with her two very little ones.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Tha't probably only slightly better than Keeper of the Royal Toilet Tissue....lol  

The argument could be made that they are all glorified ribbon cutters.  

What I'm wondering is whatever happened to Charles' sister, Princess Anne?   I'm sure she's still getting a nice, fat allowance.   

Anne and Camilla are the 'work horses" of the Royals.  The public and the press knows that and they are greatly respected for that.   That's why the Queen gave her daughter the Princess Royal title.  They are totally dedicated to their royal duties and put in hours and hours of time fulfilling their duties.  They "get it".   You can't rely on the few fluff pieces that appear in the US press for the facts.  All we ever see here is Kate dressed in lovely outfits because they aren't our royalty.  Hubby and I are in the London area a couple of times a year and our daughter lived there for time.  So, we have a better understanding of the Royal thing. 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Personally I have never seen the fascination with the "royals".  Seems like they have made a fortune off of their country and live like they want to.  Until something changes, nothing changes LOL.  As far as Kate or Anne, doesn't matter at all what they do.  Ultimately the Queen is the one who holds that key and seemingly she is content with their duties or lack thereof.  I don't think she gets a "pass" because she has small children at home.  If you read all of the help she has, there should be time for other duties.  But, really doesn't mean a lot to me.

I don't care about any of these people either, People has Prince Harry plastered on the cover......yawn.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee @Tinkrbl44  We agree on some things, but it seems we don't on this and that's fine.

Kate had to know when she married into the family  there would be expectations to go along with the clothes and palaces and houses and jewels and so on... No, I have no idea what her social calendar looks like, nor should I... That said, I don't think asking her to present trophies at Wimbledon is beyond the pale... More to the point, there are millions of working women the world over who manage to spend adequate time with their children and still hold down far more intrusive employment than appearing for photo ops... 

And really, why should the elders continue to carry the burden of royal responsibilities... Most of them have done (and continue to do) their stint... She CHOSE to marry the heir to the throne and I'd surmise the people want to see her out and about. That a few pictures of her (nicely dressed, of course...) with the children make their way to the US for some to ooh and ahh over might impress some folks on this side of the Atlantic, but it wouldn't appear it's impressing those footing the bill for the royal family, or, for that matter, some members of the royal family themselves, and really, those are the opinions that matter...

It's fine for the couple to try to have a more 'normal', family-centered life and they should be able to enjoy a bit more normalcy than perhaps others in their roles have done, but let's face it, if she wanted a completely normal life and to be a full-time 'stay at home mom' then she probably should've considered not marrying the future king... Marrying the heir-apparent to the British throne is NOT like marrying the boy next door. She had to know that and if she didn't, well, it appears she's finding out.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

stevieb posted::

@Pearley @Tinkrbl44  We agree on some things, but it seems we don't on this and that's fine.

Kate had to know when she married into the family  there would be expectations to go along with the clothes and palaces and houses and jewels and so on... No, I have no idea what her social calendar looks like, nor should I... That said, I don't think asking her to present trophies at Wimbledon is beyond the pale... More to the point, there are millions of working women the world over who manage to spend adequate time with their children and still hold down far more intrusive employment than appearing for photo ops... 

And really, why should the elders continue to carry the burden of royal responsibilities... Most of them have done (and continue to do) their stint... She CHOSE to marry the heir to the throne and I'd surmise the people want to see her out and about. That a few pictures of her (nicely dressed, of course...) with the children make their way to the US for some to ooh and ahh over might impress some folks on this side of the Atlantic, but it wouldn't appear it's impressing those footing the bill for the royal family, or, for that matter, some members of the royal family themselves, and really, those are the opinions that matter...

It's fine for the couple to try to have a more 'normal', family-centered life and they should be able to enjoy a bit more normalcy than perhaps others in their roles have done, but let's face it, if she wanted a completely normal life and to be a full-time 'stay at home mom' then she probably should've considered not marrying the future king... Marrying the heir-apparent to the British throne is NOT like marrying the boy next door. She had to know that and if she didn't, well, it appears she's finding out.

@stevieb  I really think you are overreacting.  Nobody said or even hinted that giving out the trophies at Wimbledon is "beyond the pale."  Why on earth would you think anyone was?

Kate isn't exactly sitting around doing nothing, buying fancy clothes, decorating the palaces, and eating bon bons all day. She is performing official functions.  I get People Magazine and she's always in there having been at some mental health for youth event or some other charitable event.  I don't know of course but I'm guessing that with Charlotte the age she is she rather would have not been away from her for a week in India, although she looked like she enjoyed herself.  She is doing duties now, and taking care of two little kids (yes, with help but I'd bet she does most of it).  I don't know why you are reacting so strongly to our defending Kate's amount of duties she has now.  I'm not saying she shouldn't do anything, but really, the Queen's children have the first obligation to "pick up the slack" as the Queen cuts back on her outings in her '90s  (and rightly so) and then the grandchildren, William and Harry next.   Kate is not a couch potato with duties by any means.  Gosh, give the woman a break.