Respected Contributor

Re: Queen Camilla and Her History with Others in the Royal Family

I've never really cared for Charles or Camilla.  While Diana wasn't blameless, I think their continued relationship after Charles and Di got married was a causal factor in her unhappiness and mental health issues. Disclaimer: I don't follow the royals closely.  JMO from news segments on tv back then. 

Now, I do enjoy seeing pictures of the family's lovely jewelry pieces and reading about the descriptions of each piece and its history through the years. Smiley Happy  

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell Your points as well as your lived experiences as citizen in a Commonwealth country are well taken and accepted. However, I was not criticizing your comments.  My comments simply attempted to provide some historic context about the laws that would not have allowed Charles to marry Camilla until the 2000s.  

Frequent Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Charles and Camilla were separated by his uncle Mountbatten and others (including the Queen Mother and her close friend Lady Fermoy who was either working for the Queen or on staff at the time and was a friend of the Queen's).  

Camilla was seen as not an appropriate match because of her past affairs.  I believe Anne at one time was involved with Camilla's boyfriend also (I don't think they were married at the time but maybe).

Charles and Camilla always were in love.  Diana's family knew about it, no doubt she did too.  It was a bad situation all around.  Charles had a hard life growing up and it left its marks on him.  

He is married to a woman that wasn't his choice, she was a manipulator and schemer and no innocent person, but she played the media and turned the world against him; he has no real defined job until he's in his 70's; and on and on.  

He is no saint, but he is besides Prince of Wales and King, a human being and he had a lot stacked against him.  And I think he did his best by his boys.  His younger son just happens to be his mother made over.  Right down to the tv interview.  

There is enough blame to go around, and I don't see any blameless parties in the Charles, Diana, Camilla story either.  

I agree with you @Sooner  I think you are right on the money here. Diana was young, but she was troubled. We don't know what her diagnosis was other then bulimia and depression. I’m thinking there were other co-morbidities as well. Some of which would have her using manipulations as a tactic to get what she wanted. We know she threw herself down the steps to get Charles attention.

Diana was a beautiful troubled young woman. It is sad that she didn’t get the help she needed early in her life. 

William seems to have processed this in a different way then Harry. Harry idealizes his mother, which is ok, if you recognize she had flaws.

@manny2 

Diana was a beautiful woman but she had many flaws and problems, and may I say it mental illness. I had actually forgotten about her throwing herself down the stairs, and was reminded last night while reading the book "The Palace Papers" I think we can all agree that behavior such as that is definitely not normal. 

It has been 25 years, so I think it's time that we all stop blaming Charles. Was he in the wrong absolutely!! but so was she, and like another poster mentioned he has done right by his sons.

He is finally with the woman that he has loved all along.

I read many years ago that a Psychiatrist that worked with her thought she had borderline personality disorder.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

It takes two people to destroy a marriage. Or three, I guess. Or three and the rest of the family. Or three and the rest of the family and the press...

I'd like to learn more about Camilla. I don't really get her. She seems a bit awkward, yet she also seems to be extremely comfortable in any situation. Unphased and just getting on with it, which in my opinion comes across quite well. I kind of like her, but I also find her hard to understand.

There's no accounting for who you're going to fall for. Just because Diana was so beautiful and lovely inside and out and deserving of love, didn't mean Charles would fall for her. Camilla was and I assume still is his type. She has her own charms. Camilla and Di were  never the same "type."

I'm glad Charles and Camilla finally got together. It really is like a novel.

You know what I think it could be? Charles is one of those people who has always seemed kind of mature in age for his age, in my opinion, and Camilla is like that too, again in my opinion. I don't see it as a bad thing. There's room for all kinds of people in this world. And actually being mature in age is not a bad thing either (sure better not be!). Maybe that is why they are so comfortable together.

@Porcelain 

Not to go OT, but it only takes ONE person to destroy a marriage.   

If you've got a married couple, and one of them has one foot out the door .... the foot usually wins.

Respected Contributor

I could not agree more. I have no respect at all for Camilla. It irks me that she is now acting like she actually deserves her new title as queen consort. I can't ever think that's legit. It doesn't surprise me that William and Harry are not fond of her; we all must remember that no matter what any book says, we are all just looking in from the outside and have no real info other that what we see or hear from others....and none of it is directly from the royals. They are a very private bunch....and i can certainly see why.  

My current concern is whether Harry will be smart enough to stop the release of his book. If he releases it, any chance of his reconciling with anyone in his family seems gone imo.That would be a real tragedy. To deny his children their birthright and relationshps with so many family members would be terrible.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

It takes two people to destroy a marriage. Or three, I guess. Or three and the rest of the family. Or three and the rest of the family and the press...

I'd like to learn more about Camilla. I don't really get her. She seems a bit awkward, yet she also seems to be extremely comfortable in any situation. Unphased and just getting on with it, which in my opinion comes across quite well. I kind of like her, but I also find her hard to understand.

There's no accounting for who you're going to fall for. Just because Diana was so beautiful and lovely inside and out and deserving of love, didn't mean Charles would fall for her. Camilla was and I assume still is his type. She has her own charms. Camilla and Di were  never the same "type."

You know what I think it could be? Charles is one of those people who has always seemed kind of mature in age for his age, in my opinion, and Camilla is like that too, again in my opinion. I don't see it as a bad thing. There's room for all kinds of people in this world. And actually being mature in age is not a bad thing either (sure better not be!). Maybe that is why they are so comfortable together.

@Porcelain 

If you've got a married couple, and one of them has one foot out the door .... the foot usually wins.

I do agree with you. If either partner wants out, the whole shebang is over. Trying to hang onto someone who wants to go -- only delays the inevitable. It's possible Diana didn't understand that, since she entered the relationship relatively inexperienced.

I think Chuck and Di were doomed from the start.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

All interesting viewpoints.....

But, I differ on the Diana observation......to me, having been just a few years older than her and learning later about the Camilla thing, who wouldn't cheat if your own stinking husband didn't love you?  She was ignorant and innocent and it sounds like she was a "suitable" wife for Charles.  He doesn't appear warm, friendly or loving (except I guess with the woman he DID love in the first place).  I read that Prince Philip didn't want him to marry Camilla.  Ugh! Who wants their parents telling them how to feel and who to love?

I think Diana with her eating disorder and throwing herself down the stairs was because she was STUCK.  Well, guess what folks? The people LOVED Diana and I believe that infuriated Charles because she was so personable and genuine and he was an old dolt!

How sad for her kids to know that their dad didn't love their mother!  Disgusting!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

I do agree with you. If either partner wants out, the whole shebang is over. Trying to hang onto someone who wants to go -- only delays the inevitable. It's possible Diana didn't understand that, since she entered the relationship relatively inexperienced.

I think Chuck and Di were doomed from the start.

@Porcelain 

Diana knew about the love Charles had for Camilla, from her sister who was a courtier for the queen (or something) and they had gone after Charles via that connection.  Diana knew and was very young.  She just loved the idea of having a family and a husband because her parents had basically abandoned her.  She was from an even more dysfunctional family.  She wanted the trappings of a fairytale with a prince and herself as a princess and living happily everafter.  Perhaps she was too young to understand her role, but she was a quick learner and she could have gotten out of the marriage once that occured but instead she had her own little daliances and even with some very questionable people.

Respected Contributor

Who the heck cares, at this late date?

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:
I have no respect at all for Camilla.

I doubt that Camilla cares.