Honored Contributor

Re: Quake Kills Over 2,600 in Turkey and Syria

I sent a donation to World Central Kitchen.  They are going to have many obstacles getting food into so many of the devastated areas because the infrastructure was already fractured by war and revolts.

Honored Contributor

as of this hour......20000+ death toll.

this is so sad!

yes, world central kitchen always does an outstanding job.....a very worthy organization with a very inspiring leader. i have also donated to international red cross/red crescent.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

[I received this update from World Central Kitchen today.  Adding this:  WCK typically serves nutritious meals, and I believe they try to feed the victims the food native to their region.  Sandwiches are rare.  This tells me they have many challenges getting their mini-kitchens set up and serving the population.]   

Emergency response worker eating a sandwich at night near a fire for warmth.

José and WCK Relief Team begin food distribution in Türkiye following earthquakes

On February 6, a pair of powerful earthquakes, followed by continual aftershocks, devastated more than a dozen cities throughout central and southern Türkiye and northern Syria—the situation is still evolving quickly, but so far more than 20,000 deaths have been reported.
José distributing meals from the back of a car in Türkiye.

José and the WCK Relief Team reached the Turkish cities of Adana and İskenderun, both near the epicenter, with more than a thousand sandwiches and much-needed water.

Working with local partners, we are supporting families impacted by the crisis and rescue crews stretched thin due to the scale of the disaster. Our response has just begun, and WCK teams are scaling up as quickly as possible to meet the incredible need.

The first of the earthquakes—a 7.8-magnitude temblor—occurred early on Monday as many people were still asleep, and the quake was felt as far away as Israel and Lebanon. The second was a 7.5-magnitude earthquake that shook the region just six hours later. The full scale of damage is still unknown but thousands of people are in need of immediate support. Rescue efforts have been hampered by snowy and windy conditions, with many provinces in Türkiye under weather warnings.

WCK team handing out meals to families in Türkiye at nighttime.

This is a quickly evolving situation and we will share updates as we have them.

Respected Contributor

On the news, they showed film clips of children being rescued.  They looked so frightened -  One was a baby.  Breaks your heart. 

Regular Contributor

A good place to send a donation to is Doctors Without Borders. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76  Jose is always there for these horrible catastrophes. He is the best.

Occasional Contributor

@Snow Kitten wrote:

My husband's aunt and 2 cousins live in Turkey and their building colapsed and are lost in the rubble. It has been a really upsting situation. They are saying it is so cold that they may freeze to death overnight. 

🙏❤️ prayers @Snow Kitten.