Honored Contributor

QVC to close Rocky Mount warehouse

sad news i am sure for those in the community, especially their employees...... i hope they will be able to find new jobs OR are able to relocate to another warehouse city.

QVC to close warehouse hit by huge fire, lay off more than 1,900 workers in Rocky Mount :: WRAL.com

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: QVC to close Rocky Mount warehouse

Very Sad news for all of those workers. I hope QVC can come up with a solution maybe find another building in the same area for now or until they rebuild so the employees can return to their jobs.  I would like to think they are working on something for those workers

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

More than 1900 people will be laid off.  Sad.  They'll have an opportunity to apply for other jobs in the Qurate Retail Group.  But I doubt they'd be reimbursed for relocation expense.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Very Sad news for all of those workers. I hope QVC can come up with a solution maybe find another building in the same area for now or until they rebuild so the employees can return to their jobs.  I would like to think they are working on something for those workers

@Goodie2shoes    They pretty much say that's not going to happen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I guess that, ultimately, Rocky Mount distribuion center wasn't very important to QVC.  It opened in 1999 and expanded in 2011.

Maybe there's so much commercial property available, that it's cheaper for QVC to buy or lease existing space elsewhere.  Or they are going to use the opportunity to angle for tax abatements in return for saving 1900 jobs. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's a hard hit to a small community.

Honored Contributor

Has the cause of the fire been determined?  

Esteemed Contributor

This is so unfortunate.  If QVC was a large employer in the area, how can other companies in the surrounding area absorb all the workers?  

I'm surprised QVC doesn't want to rebuild the warehouse.  If they close this one down, will it interrupt their supply chain?  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@tansy  I'm wondering the same thing, and if it had something to do with the closing.  

Honored Contributor

It's just a sad, heartbreaking story. Woman Sad

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.