Super Contributor

Re: QVC’s Plan to Survive Amazon Might Actually Be Working

@gidgetgh You stated my exact sentiments.. Have you written these legitimate issues in the FEEDBACK section above the blogs & forum???..   I do know for a fact those feedback comments get passed on to the higher echelon .. You stated everything so nicely & wonderful suggestions..

Honored Contributor

I always compare prices several places and 99% of the time end up ordering from Amazon because it's cheaper.  I love the free shipping and free returns (mostly free returns).  I have Prime so shipping is fast.  I also order things like bras and make-up from Neiman Marcus because of free shipping/free returns.  The prices of things like that are exactly the same everywhere.  I order shoes from Zappos for the same reason.  Shoes dot com has coupons but never on the brands I am ordering, so I choose Zappos.

QVC is pretty much last for places I order.  I did order from here seven times last year for things I couldn't find anywhere else.  One was a pair of shoes at a great price, but I had to return them because they didn't fit.

When comparing prices I always consider the price plus shipping charge.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I wonder, though, how QVC (and other shopping channels) are going to begin to attract a younger audience as their current target audience ages out.    I can't even imagine how that could be done.   Do young people want to watch shopping tv?    Could be that I have no idea because I'm really seldom around any young people.  Smiley Happy

Amazon is just the best example of 21st century shopping in numerous ways that it might be odd to even compare the two.   But others could definitely take something away from how Amazon does some of it, including variety and customer service.

Selling on TV has to be expensive.   The thing is, you can really only sell stuff that is going to blow out of there by the tens of thousands.   So, you can't really cover variety in the same way.

Trusted Contributor

If Qvc charged $99 per year for 2 day shipping would you pay it?  I wouldn't. I also never got on board with the Amazon extras of being a prime member and so did not renew my membership when it expired in January of this year.  

I love Qvc yep I said it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As @stevieb said QVC likes to play with numbers....and Q's  16% declinein profits in 2016 and HSN has also struggled thats why Mandy Grossman HSNs CEO left to pursue a career at Weight Watchers.....She was from Nordstroms and even she couldnt make HSN profitable....I hope this merger doesnt turn into a disaster like when Sears and Kmart (two struggling retailers merged) and they are both teetering on bankruptcy....

It will be interesting to see QVC's financial reports for their 4th quarter 2017....  

I have noticed an attempt for a bit more variety in products (except for weekends)....and more vendors from QVC UK................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

As @stevieb said QVC likes to play with numbers....and Q's  16% declinein profits in 2016 and HSN has also struggled thats why Mandy Grossman HSNs CEO left to pursue a career at Weight Watchers.....She was from Nordstroms and even she couldnt make HSN profitable....I hope this merger doesnt turn into a disaster like when Sears and Kmart (two struggling retailers merged) and they are both teetering on bankruptcy....

It will be interesting to see QVC's financial reports for their 4th quarter 2017....  

I have noticed an attempt for a bit more variety in products (except for weekends)....and more vendors from QVC UK................

As for the slight (and I mean slight) uptick in variety, too little - too late for this one time customer @Spurt... And speaking of numbers games, what'll be interesting to see is if, as they've done here, they lump HSN's 4th quarter sales in with theirs and claim a huge increase... Nothing Boy George does would surprise me, other, of course, than finally taking a hike or actually bringing innovation and variety along with enhanced quality control and lower prices to this once worthwhile shopping resource...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

wrote:

If Qvc charged $99 per year for 2 day shipping would you pay it?  I wouldn't. I also never got on board with the Amazon extras of being a prime member and so did not renew my membership when it expired in January of this year.  

I love Qvc yep I said it.  

As far as I'm concerned, a hundred dollar a year 'membership' would be met by me with the suggestion that they go pound sand. They simply don't have the variety to warrant it... I think that variety, including books and other entertainment, is what makes the Prime fee worthwhile to some...

Honored Contributor

we only have PRIME because my daughter is a student and she gets a discount.....maybe $49 a year? i refused to pay $100 to get "free shipping."

if we are talking about overall spending qvc versus amazon, i spend quite a bit more at qvc than amazon.

believe me, amazon has its problems also. prices are not ALWAYS that great and neither are shipping and returns.......and we have an amazon warehouse not too far away.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 Amazon does have some problems. But I think they work on them and try to address them quickly which doesn't appear to be the case for QVC. I have noticed a subtle increase in pricing with Amazon since they acquired the market share of business in almost everything. As their monopoly grows I fear we'll see more of that and then we'll be back to the same situation as we have with the Q in the overlapping areas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't get me wrong because I'm not touting Amazon as the be-all and end-all of shopping. It's not. I have my issues with Amazon and think there's clear room for improvement, but one thing I can also say, they always seem to be evolving, not remaining static, or virtually so. Frankly, neither QVC nor Amazon gets most of my shopping dollars. I rarely buy clothes or accessories from either. Each has a somewhat limited niche as far as being a resource for me. The difference is that Amazon is getting more of my business than they used to and QVC is getting far less.