Respected Contributor

Re: QVC’s Plan to Survive Amazon Might Actually Be Working

wrote:

wrote:

What I can't quite figure out is why QVC charges for shipping at all.  So many stores don't.  I know they have a business to run, but so does Amazon, Zappos, Walmart and Target (just to name a few).

I wonder what would happen if QVC charged a membership fee like Amazon and stopped charging their members shipping charges?

I also get a lot of perks with my Prime Membership.  QVC could do the same.  I will probably always be a member of Amazon.  I know I am getting my money's worth.  Some of the deals on their Prime Anniversary were absolutely crazy and I definitely spent some money that day!

@hellodali  You don't have to be a Prime member to get free shipping, I get free amazon shipping every time I shop, which is frequently.

Since I have been a member since the beginning, I do not check the criteria for free shipping.  I always thought there was a minimum purchase to get free shipping.  Has that changed?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Sounds like a numbers game to me. If you add HSN's customers to those who were already QVC customers and then consider them all QVC customers, then of course their numbers increased.

ITA. It is just numbers. They may be under the same company but they are still separate entities. Take away HSN's numbers and with qvc's poor quarterly showings in the last year/months, they aren't any threat to Amazon. Very seldom do I purchase items from qvc any more (I'm in the middle aged and older female the article talks about).  Amazon Prime, HSN, Rockauto, and LL Bean are my primary online shopping sites. Better prices, faster and no cost shipping and returns, better customer service. You name it and QVC lags behind in these catagories and doesn't seem to want to change or fix the problems. Just read the many, many complaints and problems the Q has on these forums. QVC needs to clean up its' act before it is even capable of comparing it self to any on-line retail site, let alone Amazon.

Respected Contributor

I used to purchase more from Amazon, but in the recent years, I have try not to purchase things from Amazon.  I have read many reports of counterfeit products and fake reviews from amazon. And amazon's ineffectiveness or unwillingness to police it make me think twice about purchasing something from them.  

Respected Contributor

This does not have much to do with the subject title but have noticed lately more and more stores have Amazon sections in them. Not sure what that is about - should ask. Our Kohl's is the latest I have noticed. It is a large section of the store - . Weird to me.

Honored Contributor

I get all my DVD's and books from Amazon. Clothes and cookware from the Q and HSN.  I don't get in a hurry when ordering from Q because the item ordered will be 'in processing' for a minimum of 3 days sometimes longer. Then another 5-7 days getting to you by the time it changes hands once or twice.

When an item is the same and available thru the local Bed and Bath I'll go there and buy it with their 20% off card and save shp cost and waiting.  Kohl's, when they have a sale, plus, save more on their 20% off coupons and 10.00 off anything over 25 bucks newspaper coupons.

Think it depends what your town has to offer. JC penny is getting to look like a Goodwill now. Dillards, is my place to go. Wish we had a Macy's, but, don't. Kohl's is good for casual dressing. Steinmart, is sometimes good. Q'c clothes are more on trend and have stuff for all ages.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

This does not have much to do with the subject title but have noticed lately more and more stores have Amazon sections in them. Not sure what that is about - should ask. Our Kohl's is the latest I have noticed. It is a large section of the store - . Weird to me.

@Winifred  I know Amazon and Kohls recently partnered to work together.  I think it's just for select items like Alexa that you can buy or return to Kohls if you bought from Amazon and vice versa.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks Laura - I could NOT figure it out. Had heard Amazon was at other stores. Makes no sense to me but what do I know.

Honored Contributor

Well, this middle aged woman buys 90% of everything she owns from QVC or Amazon. I don't think a day goes by when I don't recieve a package or two from one of them.  I don't care about their competition, that doesn't interest me at all.  I'm just happy to be living now when anything and everything I want is a few keystrokes away and some brings it right to my front door.

Honored Contributor

I definitely place more orders with QVC than Amazon.  I am one of the few not totally enamored with Amazon.   I do order from them but maybe twice a year.  I check prices and order from the best source. 

I have to laugh about those who applaud Amazon for their free s/h.  Amazon doesn't offer free s/h.  If you are a Prime member you are prepaying for your s/h.  It's not free.  If you are not a Prime member, s/h isn't free unless you spend a certain amount and that's only on items sold through Amazon, not third party vendors. 

I don't like the fact that QVC no longer refunds original s/h but the only place I personally know of that refunds original s/h is HSN.  If I pay s/h for something to be sent to me and I make a return, no company refunds that to me. 

Any order that I do make from QVC is done on my app on my phone or on-line.  I cannot remember the last time I called QVC to place an order. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I have cut down my spending at QVC by 95%.  First of all the shipping is outrageous.  If you order a Tee-shirt in 3 colors , you pay shipping prices 3 times,  if you order 6 different items from say Isaac you pay shipping on every one of them.  We now pay for returns and they have raised prices on everything.   I do my apparel shopping at Nordstroms, Kate Spade, Neiman Marcus and Talbots (all regular stores not outlets).  Once in a while I will order a top or a pair of Isaacs 24/7 capries  from QVC but most of my purchases are It Cosmetics or Josie Maran.  I  get excellent quality apparel from B&M stores and when they have sales prices are better than QVC with the added benefit of free shipping and returns.  Also QVC takes forever to ship.

This is one thing that really bothers me.  When HSN lowered their s/h to $3.00 on clothing to match QVC's, they still offered half off s/h so every subsequent order of any other clothing was only $1.50.  Now they removed clothing from that category so with HSN you also pay s/h for every item.   

Many, many places that offer free s/h only do so if you spend X amount of money. Target offers free s/h if you have a RedCard.  Otherwise you have to spend $35.00 to get free s/h.  Walmart will ship free to a store but they also have a minimum purchase requirement to ship free to your house.