Super Contributor

Re: QVC’s Plan to Survive Amazon Might Actually Be Working

wrote:

I'm not a fan of Amazon. I have bought from them, but unless I know the product, I don't trust them to be accurate in descriptions, the photos are usually few and poor and I've had issues with getting refunds and even getting merchandise that they shipped elsewhere. 

I don't like QVC's shipping charges and that has curtailed my ordering considerably in the last three months, and will continue to in the future. But let's face it, Amazon's shipping (and anyone else's) is really never free. It is built into the prices of the products.

I've never been a Walmart hater as I find shopping their stores to afford me getting a lot of what I need at a good price (not groceries so much though), in one place. I've ordered onlilne several times for large stocking up of household essentials, and enjoy the two day 'free' shipping. I'd choose them over Amazon if they carry the same items, even if Walmart prices were just a little higher, as I know I can simply go to the store for returns if there are any issues. 

I couldn't agree with you more... I know many, many, many people like shopping at Amazon ( including one of my daughters ); but for me, I'm not a fan at all; NOT AT ALL !!! 

I like the fact that when I'm searching for an item ( I.e. Qvc ), many times you have a video demonstration along with more details of the item  one is viewing; whereas on Amazon, I find that product description is minimal.. 

Also, I shop Macy's,  & Lord &Taylor on line & in store, & whenever I go to their website I find their product info to be incomplete also..  Maybe it's because I'm so accustomed to shopping QVC giving me more details, demos  etc..

I too do not like QVC's shipping charges & I've let corporate know.. Many, many times I've  written in  their feedback section & believe me, they do read them, they do reply & they even called me.. 

I like shopping Whole Foods & I'm now concerned with Amazon taking over..

Respected Contributor

What I can't quite figure out is why QVC charges for shipping at all.  So many stores don't.  I know they have a business to run, but so does Amazon, Zappos, Walmart and Target (just to name a few).

I wonder what would happen if QVC charged a membership fee like Amazon and stopped charging their members shipping charges?

I also get a lot of perks with my Prime Membership.  QVC could do the same.  I will probably always be a member of Amazon.  I know I am getting my money's worth.  Some of the deals on their Prime Anniversary were absolutely crazy and I definitely spent some money that day!

Honored Contributor

The 4th Quarter! Amazon "Two Billion Profit" Congratulations!!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

What I can't quite figure out is why QVC charges for shipping at all.  So many stores don't.  I know they have a business to run, but so does Amazon, Zappos, Walmart and Target (just to name a few).

I wonder what would happen if QVC charged a membership fee like Amazon and stopped charging their members shipping charges?

I also get a lot of perks with my Prime Membership.  QVC could do the same.  I will probably always be a member of Amazon.  I know I am getting my money's worth.  Some of the deals on their Prime Anniversary were absolutely crazy and I definitely spent some money that day!

@hellodali  You don't have to be a Prime member to get free shipping, I get free amazon shipping every time I shop, which is frequently.

Honored Contributor

While I buy a lot from QVC as well as HSN and Evine, you can't beat Amazon Prime with free 2 day shipping for every day things you find you need.  For me they each have their place in my life for purchases.  Usually what I buy from Amazon is not sold on the shopping channels.  I can't be bothered to price compare to find things a little bit cheaper elsewhere so I'm good with where I shop. 

Esteemed Contributor

I stil buy one or two items a month from QVC, but Amazon gets more of my business....

QVC needs to improve the time it takes for someone to receive a refund on a return....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't see QVC as competition for Amazon.  Totally different "thing" in my mind.

First, QVC may say that they have gazillions of products but seriously, they only seem to show the same 20.  It's why I stopped watching.

I'm not in the market for My Pillow or a new bed by any manufacturer.  Don't want an air fryer, $400 blender, a Dooney & Bourke purse or IT Cosmetics.  The Flashpad at Christmas.  Oh, don't let me forget this- a Dyson anything.

And I seriously can't watch an hour of any product.  I don't have the attention span for it.  It's like watching an informercial over and over again.  If I tune in and I see it's an hour of something, I change the channel immediately.  Done.  Off to somethiing else.

I've posted this over and over.  I'm like a broken record.  If they'd like to up the variety they show on the air, I'd be happy to try watching again.

If they'd like to offer some sort of loyalty (reward) program along the lines of Amazon's prime or Talbots reward program, I'd try it.

Get a customer focus group and actually listen to the suggestions and feedback, including the negative.

I thought it was interesting in the first post, that they said that jewelry sales are down.  Well, I'm sure they are.  They hardly ever show any!

Bring back Silver Style on Sunday mornings.  Both the 1 hour and 4 hour versions.  I used to love to watch that.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVC and Amazon are two different animals.  QVC prides itself on being an entertainment shopping channel.  I think that’s its Achilles heel —  it leaves them open to all the criticism of host style, looks, personality, and monotonous programming of the same products. So many people forget that what they see on TV is probably 10% of what QVC sells.  If you search on their website, there are items and brands I never even dreamed QVC offered. 

As a prime member, I do all my competitive price shopping on Amazon, and rely much more on their review section than I ever would QVC’s.  Whenever I need or want any item, I go to Amazon first, always. I do not wait until a TV shopping channel may have it on TV.  I can check it out on Amazon, then decide to buy from them or search another site, or buy in person somewhere else. 

The whole watching on TV and calling in by phone has become archaic.  I want to shop when I want to shop, not when it’s up to programming or a call center — I cannot even imagine that. 

For me, QVC TV is nice, but not how I primarily shop.  Yes, I’m one of those middle-aged women QVC is now primarily marketing to heavily (on my tablet and phone), according to that article.

Respected Contributor

Steeler 20, I'm surprised by your comment that some people will not order from certain hosts. That just seems so stupid to me. (But then again, a few days ago a poster would not order from Dennis Basso because he was wearing jeans.)

Thanks for the observation!

Honored Contributor

I rarely shop at Q anymore.  I don't like paying shipping.  I don't like the length of time it takes to get an order.  I don't like waiting a long time for returns to be processed.  Most of all, I don't like paying more than other retailers charge for an item.

Amazon and a number of retailers offer better prices, fast shipping, free shipping, and fast returns.  

In fact, Amazon processes returns before they receive the item back!  When UPS or USPS scans the barcode on their return label (which is free), Amazon is notified and the return is processed.