Honored Contributor

Re: QVC is pricing themselves out of business....

What's the possibility QVC is having its best success pricing itself into a different market?  When I do watch, it always looks to me as if lots of the expensive for QVC clothing sells well -  Logo sells, Linea sells, Laurie Felt sells, Susan Graver sells.  So do Isaac and Dennis and Belle.  

One of my favorite QVC purchases within the last year was the Denim & Co TSV last September -  I'd have to look, but I believe with tax and shipping, I paid over $50.   I liked it enough that I would have bought another when they went to clearance but the only color I liked was the one I'm so glad I paid full price to get.    My color sold out as a TSV, so I have to assume I'm not the only one who thought the price was right.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I do think we're going to see more and more of that kind of differences.  Just as Main Street in our communities csn't compete with Walmart,Target etc. on price-  QVC can't compete with them either.  Walmart if more than 100 times bigger as a company than QVC -  imagine how that works for them when they contract with Keurig!

Right now, I'm not buying much of anything as I try to pare down to a much simpler life than I've been leading in my 60's and 70's.  I do wonder what will be left when I hit 80 in 2021 -  what will I want or need?  Where will I find it?

I'll be 80 in November. I have more clothes, shoes, purses, sweaters than I ever had in my life --- and I enjoy each item. NO MORE SHOPPING FOR ME!!!! My large walk-in closet is full.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I do think we're going to see more and more of that kind of differences.  Just as Main Street in our communities csn't compete with Walmart,Target etc. on price-  QVC can't compete with them either.  Walmart if more than 100 times bigger as a company than QVC -  imagine how that works for them when they contract with Keurig!

Right now, I'm not buying much of anything as I try to pare down to a much simpler life than I've been leading in my 60's and 70's.  I do wonder what will be left when I hit 80 in 2021 -  what will I want or need?  Where will I find it?

@millieshops 

I can certainly relate to your paring down, as I'm doing the same!😉

But I think QVC still has a huge advantage over many retailers, especially those online only.  TV.  You can show things in ways the customer can't see online.  You can explain things, which is something even the brick and mortar stores can't do.  You can have the vendor/inventor explain their own product.  

But they aren't using it to their benefit.  They used to.  Now, it's silliness, talking about their kids, and hundreds of other useless diversions from the products themselves.  Give the dimensions.  Show the colors up close--is that a black or navy background in the print of that blouse?  Open that purse and show the inside, don't just tell me where I can wear it or that your girlfriend has one just like it.

And above all, be honest.  If your product doesn't do something, don't hedge around the fact that it does.  Back in the day, the hosts would say, "If you're looking for 'X', this isn't it.  It's'Y'.  But here's how 'Y' can be useful to you."  

Get the startups back with new and unique products.  We don't need a new vacuum every month.  

Use your platform.  Don't try to be Amazon or Walmart.  

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops 

But I think QVC still has a huge advantage over many retailers, especially those online only.  TV.  You can show things in ways the customer can't see online.  You can explain things, which is something even the brick and mortar stores can't do.  You can have the vendor/inventor explain their own product.  

But they aren't using it to their benefit.  They used to.  Now, it's silliness, talking about their kids, and hundreds of other useless diversions from the products themselves.  Give the dimensions.  Show the colors up close--is that a black or navy background in the print of that blouse?  Open that purse and show the inside, don't just tell me where I can wear it or that your girlfriend has one just like it.

And above all, be honest.  If your product doesn't do something, don't hedge around the fact that it does.  Back in the day, the hosts would say, "If you're looking for 'X', this isn't it.  It's'Y'.  But here's how 'Y' can be useful to you."  

Get the startups back with new and unique products.  We don't need a new vacuum every month.  

If all the hosts/vendors do - is describe the product - most people would change the channel. There needs to be comments - with humor - to keep people watching. Humor and fun were why Kathy Levin and Joan Rivers were a hit.

Respected Contributor

Most of my QVC purchases are impulse buys.
Super Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I am okay with the pricing and even paying for the shipping. I am NOT okay with waiting two weeks for my purchases and I still have not received them.

Definitely rethinking my shopping with QVC. 

I agree with the pricing if there is something I like and I can't find it elsewhere. The shipping, not so much. Like others said have just one shipping price for an entire order.

The wait time for arrival is another story. I ordered something last week and it came within 6 days. Other times it takes 2-3 weeks from the same vendor. I just don't get it.

Honored Contributor

I agree and feel that way about HSN and ShopHQ too. I dont order much at all and only if a good sale price and free S/H. Mostly order on Walmart site or Amazon but not often.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops 

If all the hosts/vendors do - is describe the product - most people would change the channel. There needs to be comments - with humor - to keep people watching. Humor and fun were why Kathy Levin and Joan Rivers were a hit.

@kivah 

And along with that humor, both Kathy Levine and Joan Rivers described and explained the products effectively while they were having fun.  (And us along with them.)

I'm all for humor and stories, but remember what your job is.  Kathy could sell a pencil.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

The clothing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.  But the thing that has always stopped me from ordering from QVC is the shipping.  You have to pay shipping for each product you want (who DOES that?) AND shipping takes for-e-ver.  You'd think a multi-million dollar company could step up their processing and shipping times.  And offer free shipping when you spend X amount of money.  Ya know, like the rest of the country does.

25 people and counting have liked this post, QVC.  Are ya listening?  (Yeah, I know they probably don't even care what we're saying here).  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Not to mention the food. $60 for 36 hot dogs? They're nuts! They place everything on easy pay, so it looks cheaper.