Honored Contributor

Re: QVC and HSN prepare for a future beyond TV

@Johnnyeager  Bingo!!

I know that "influencers" are a BIG thing with tweens, teens and twenty-somethings. I have a difficult time understanding why a grown adult would buy something JUST BECAUSE a talking head on a screen raves about it but I know many do. 

As long as people can be led astray by these actions, you're going to have followers, fans, over-buying, etc so I don't see social media as a platform for selling going away anytime soon.

My way of shopping is a google search, going to the site and reading. If there is a video, great. On QVC and HSN.com, I turn off the volume if I want to really concentrate on an item: how it looks on, how it performs, size, etc. The host is just background static for me and means nothing regarding my purchase.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:
Consumers shopping at Qurate's brands, particularly QVC and HSN, are able to get an experience that they won't at Amazon or other retailers -- namely the video component that the QVC and HSN networks are known for.
"We are not going to win by chasing Amazon. But we can bring products to life, and not just through TV but all forms of digital media." 

@sunshine45  

They may not be chasing Amazon, but their tails.

Lol.  So true!

Honored Contributor

I’ve long maintained that QVC, and other shopping channels as well I guess, have advantages (and disadvantages) over the likes of Amazon and Walmart.  The problem is, they don’t seem to have been using their advantages to their, um, advantage.  Although I do admit that I’ve seen more unique products being presented lately, which I like.

I know that they’re in a transition now, so there will be changes—probably some I won’t like.  And given the uber competitiveness of retail nowadays, changes will more than likely continue.  And I agree that if they want more business on platforms other than through the television, consistency and security should come before anything else.  I don’t particularly like the constant website changes, but it would be a lot easier to navigate if, when they did change something, it actually worked.

Is everyone going to want to shop with Qurate’s brands?  Of course not.  But, believe it or not, not everyone shops at Amazon or Walmart either.  I like the idea of choices.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45@geezerette@GSPgirl@SahmIam@GingerPeach

Picture the home shopping network of the future.

What do you see?

I need to add before I move on, Andrew Lessman, for instance, is smart. Him being shown in person explaining the products (their development/the QC) enhances the product desirability for me. 

The man who sells the figurines that look like carved wood....he also obviously knows how they were created and conceived. And he obviously cares if the buyers are happy.

Valerie apparently has some say in the development of her products. Perhaps to a degree anyway.

LDO obviously has some say in the fabrics used for his fashions, and he designs them.

In none one of these cases do we care (much) about the “star quality” of these people. We buy from them based on their expertise.

This was just an observation.  Internet buying in the future...how do you imagine it?  What do you think it will look like?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sunshine45@geezerette@GSPgirl@SahmIam@GingerPeach

Picture the hone shopping network of the future.

What do you see?

Ineed to add before I move on, Andrew Lessman, for instance, is smart. Him being shown in person explaining the products (their development/the QC) enhances the products’ desirability for me. 

The man who sells the figurines that look like carved wood....he also obviously knows how they were created and conceived. And he obviously cares if the buyers are happy.

Valerie apparently has some say in the development of her products. Perhaps to a degree anyway.

LDO obviously has some say in the fabrics used for his fashions, and he designs these. 

In none one of these cases do we care (much) about the “star quality” of these people. We buy from them based on their expertise.

This was just an observation.  Online buying in the future...let’s imagine it?

@LTT1  I can imagine; heck, anyone can. That said, it's nothing more than an infomercial even with those you happened to mention (with the exception of LDO).  When it comes to home shopping or those that buy because their YouTube Guru says they should, it's nothing more than a case of a Fool and their Money......

Respected Contributor

@LurkyLoo

I'm right there with you.  Older than dirt and long for the days when QVC actually had informative and varied presentations. The hosts weren't trying to be the host of their own  variety show, but present an item. 

If I watch QVC at all, it's a quick, very brief moment at something I am actually interested in.  I don't want to hear the gushing and fake feigning how much they use and love a product.