Honored Contributor

Re: QVC and HSN prepare for a future beyond TV

@Johnnyeager wrote:

They are making a big error in focusing too much on hosts.

Hiring new hosts, giving favored hosts multiple eponymous shows, turning hosts into stars and diva celebrities.....poor resource allocation.

@Johnnyeager.  They put a lot of money into hiring, training, and maintaining those hosts.  Guess they're trying to get their money's worth.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ MontanaCompletely agree.  When the shopping channels match Amazon's pricing, shipping and customer service, maybe they will be competitive.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:
Consumers shopping at Qurate's brands, particularly QVC and HSN, are able to get an experience that they won't at Amazon or other retailers -- namely the video component that the QVC and HSN networks are known for.
"We are not going to win by chasing Amazon. But we can bring products to life, and not just through TV but all forms of digital media." 

So what’s QVC’s definition of a “win”?  They are quietly raising shipping fees this week, and their delivery times are the worst. A product video is nice, but how many people view them for features on the Q website and then buy elsewhere at a better price and free shipping delivered within a few days? I have and can’t be alone.

Trusted Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

Well, how about a glitch-free website for starters.

Oh my.. at this point, that alone would seem miraculous! 

Let it begin there, Qurate- then increase variety of products offered, and better incentives in order to truly compete with other online retailers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Given how dreadful, repetitive and down right dull the TV operation has become, they well should be preparing for a future beyond it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

Well, how about a glitch-free website for starters.

@ Montana.  Does such a thing exist?  It's like a glitch free auto; eventually they all have their moments.

That's true, but some have more moments than others, don't they?

I have very rarely experienced trouble on Amazon's website and I cannot say the same for QVC's website.

Honored Contributor

Huh???  I think that future is already here.  No one I know plunks down and watches QVC or HSN on tv hour after hour the way we did in the past.  I shouldn't say "no one", there are some older shoppers who still like watching their QVC "shows".  I do think that as time goes on, the tv stuff will become less and less important and evolve into something else.  

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:
Consumers shopping at Qurate's brands, particularly QVC and HSN, are able to get an experience that they won't at Amazon or other retailers -- namely the video component that the QVC and HSN networks are known for.
"We are not going to win by chasing Amazon. But we can bring products to life, and not just through TV but all forms of digital media." 

It makes sense to me. I don't really watch QVC on TV. I have few shows I watch or record, but mostly I watch the videos of things I'm interested in on the website. That component is a big advantage.

Some other sites, like Amazon and Zappos, have product videos and I always check for those. There are exceptions, but most of those videos are not nearly as helpful as the videos I find on QVC. I find this especially true for handbags, clothing, and gadgets that might need a demo or explanation. Some of the videos on Amazon are just a video of the item with music and some words on the screen, but they don't demonstrate the item or show me how to set it up or use it. They might show me a bag, but not all of the pockets or examples of it in use. QVC excels at videos like those.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Huh???  I think that future is already here.  No one I know plunks down and watches QVC or HSN on tv hour after hour the way we did in the past.  I shouldn't say "no one", there are some older shoppers who still like watching their QVC "shows".  I do think that as time goes on, the tv stuff will become less and less important and evolve into something else.  

Well, I'm older than dirt, @chrystaltree and I, like friends my age, can no longer stand to watch for more than a few minutes per week. And that is for demonstrations of products we are already interested in purchasing. Not that anything new has been offered for a very long time.. A few kitchen gadgets is all I have noticed.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the live shows fade away to infomercials on a loop- leaving the rest to social media. 

No amount of new hosts are going to increase my viewing interest. Nothing against them- or the more seasoned ones either. I don’t watch shopping channels to be entertained. There is too much better variety available on TV for that. I don’t tune in to “visit with friends” to sell me things I don’t like or need either. I have plenty of personal friends, thankfully, who aren’t dependent on my sale to make their living. Just never bought into that tactic. It's kind of insulting to most people’s intelligence and really needs to go, imo. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Maybe if they actually spent more time describing the product, turning clothing items inside out, crunching the fabric in their hands to show how little or how much it wrinkles, showing how seams are stitched, then maybe.  But just to listen to personal stories?  Stories are lovely and can be fun but, as we all know, they become annoying when they get in the way of product descriptions.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.