Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Was visiting family in Western NY and in the morning newspaper there was an article about an estate sale being conducted in a nearby town.  The man running the sale had cleaned out the home of an elderly woman and among the contents of the home was $700,000 worth of brand new, never used, still packaged QVC goods!  Sounded like a lot  of D and B purses among other things.  Wow!

Wow? Why is is not ok for someone to buy what they want? It is their business...if it gave her joy so be it. Her money, her stuff, her joy. 

Honored Contributor

DH and I spent Sat & Suns shopping Estate sales when I used to sell antiques at 3 anttique Malls in San Diego.  This was in the early 2000's and at the height of antique sales and shopping channel sales as well as eBay...... we saw this a LOT at these sales.  One sale must have had 1,000 dolls!  Were very well known names (and many still in their original boxes with no dust)  but it's not something I'm interested in reselling....or collectible bears.... a LOT of QVC jewelry, original boxes, etc.  Many items still in their shipping boxes.  I found it sad so many things never got to be used/enjoyed, maybe the joy was in the purchase rather than in owning it.

Today you can't give away a collectible doll or bear..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Troubling in that she was spending money on things she did not need or use. There had to be an underlying issue with that lady.

There is.  It's called being lonely.

@And now  you are a licensed professional psychologist @Chrystaltre?  You seem to have wrapped her up an a neat little package with a bow!🤔

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Troubling in that she was spending money on things she did not need or use. There had to be an underlying issue with that lady.

There is.  It's called being lonely.

@And now  you are a licensed professional psychologist @Chrystaltre?  You seem to have wrapped her up an a neat little package with a bow!🤔

@SeaMaiden  I don't think that is a big leap to assume someone is lonely if they are shopping on tv all the time. . . 

Respected Contributor

One of my best friends just had to go through her sister's apartment and found dozens of unopened QVC boxes.....thousands of dollars spent. The sister was evidently addicted to purchasing products and then not using them. Sad. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Was visiting family in Western NY and in the morning newspaper there was an article about an estate sale being conducted in a nearby town.  The man running the sale had cleaned out the home of an elderly woman and among the contents of the home was $700,000 worth of brand new, never used, still packaged QVC goods!  Sounded like a lot  of D and B purses among other things.  Wow!

Wow? Why is is not ok for someone to buy what they want? It is their business...if it gave her joy so be it. Her money, her stuff, her joy. 

Problem is her ‘joy’ from shopping was so short-lived she had to constantly repeat it.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Problem is her ‘joy’ from shopping was so short-lived she had to constantly repeat it.  

Unfortunately it's the same with most addictions.... Woman Sad

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@tansy& @Q4u, exactly.

Obessive-compulsive shoppers are different from people who just overspend. Addiction to shopping is a very lonely and painful condition.

There's the high of the hunt and the letdown once the item is owned. The only way to get high again is rinse, spit, repeat. These people go from euphoric to depressed and remorseful over and over and over again.

It can be a very difficult battle. Most are resistent to any kind of help and will deny, deny, deny.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Well, $700K makes me raise my eyebrows.  However, I have known of two elderly women who passed away and when their families cleaned out their houses, they were shocked.  Rooms full of never opened QVC and HSN boxes.  One woman who was a co-worker said she always wondered why her mother never let anyone go upstairs in her house.  And then she did and every room was bursting with the stuff.  So, yes.  There are a lot of elderly women who are lonely and no have no social outlets and they have credit cards and money is not a problem.  They watch shopping channels....and buy stuff.  Honestly, I go back and forth on how I feel about this but I think that people, even eldery people have every right to do whatever they want with the money.  In the cases, I know of the women had no financial problems.  So, some people travel.  Some people donate large amounts of  money to various charities (my dad was like that).  Other people shop.  If that's what gives them joy, I have no problems with that.   I can say that it is a bummer for family members who have dispose of years and years of "stuff" because it's brand new so it's it's not a matter of "throw it in the dumpster".  

I agree.

If the person can afford it, it really doesn't matter how they spend their money. 

If they can't or shouldn't be affording it, and getting into debt they can't afford/control, it becomes a different story. But unless they are incompetent, there isn't much that family can do when they don't know about it.

Honored Contributor

Often these people can't afford it.   They run up one credit card, then get another.

I buy something maybe once a month.

Usually a piece of jewelry, sometimes something more practical like the KA countertop oven.    When I worked, there was a co-worker I knew shopped with QVC.   Once when I remarked about a show I watched "Did you see......" she would say , yeah I bought one last week or whatever.   When I would ask how she likes it, she would say, it's still in the box somewhere.

She had a rough life, bad marriage, worse divorce and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I sometimes go estate sale shopping but I get emails regularly of upcoming sales.

About once a month, there's a sale loaded with new in the box QVC junk.