Honored Contributor

Re: ****QVC Website - Serious Security Vulnerability****

[ Edited ]

@ Montana wrote:

Sometimes the “Show” or “Hide” functions are reversed. If it says “Hide” the entire password is visible.  If switched to “Show” you can’t see it.  

@ Montana, (and @tansy -- I just saw your post), That's how it's supposed to work, even though it seems counterintuitive.

If the word "Show" is displayed, that means in order to SHOW the password we have to actually click/tap on the word "Show" -- telling the system "show it to me."

If we're typing in the password and we see the characters, we have to click/tap the word "Hide" to tell the system to hide them.   Once we do that, the characters revert to asterisks or dots.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I tried flipping that show/hide  to hide my password, then turned computer off and when I came back to sign on - it was there again.

@151949 That's because the web hosting software is making that decision, choosing the default.   It works properly on some devices, or software, or browsers and not on others.    And it's intermittent, also.    This is not good, because it should be consistent, no matter what device/software/etc. we use, and default always should be to mask or hide the password characters (and possibly also offer us the "SHOW" option in case we do want to see what we're typing).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I see what you mean , yes they should fix it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Yesterday when I logged into the QVC Blogs & Forums, my password started defaulting to Show (ie, I had to manually select Hide if I didn’t want my entire password to appear below the password box). This hadn’t happened for several weeks, so I thought QVC had solved the problem. It’s still coming up this way today. Yes, you can select Hide, but you may not realize that you need to right away. The only reason I select Show is so I can see what I’m doing wrong if my password is rejected. Otherwise, it should default to Hide.

This morning I logged into my regular QVC account and the password didn’t show. However, this doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling because QVC has set up its login system so the same password applies to both login entry screens. As the OP noted, solving the problem isn’t rocket science. This indicates a cavalier disregard for its customers. A corporation as large as QVC should be able to develop a permanent solution to this issue very quickly. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

Yesterday when I logged into the QVC Blogs & Forums, my password started defaulting to Show (ie, I had to manually select Hide if I didn’t want my entire password to appear below the password box). This hadn’t happened for several weeks, so I thought QVC had solved the problem. It’s still coming up this way today. Yes, you can select Hide, but you may not realize that you need to right away. The only reason I select Show is so I can see what I’m doing wrong if my password is rejected. Otherwise, it should default to Hide.

This morning I logged into my regular QVC account and the password didn’t show. However, this doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling because QVC has set up its login system so the same password applies to both login entry screens. As the OP noted, solving the problem isn’t rocket science. This indicates a cavalier disregard for its customers. A corporation as large as QVC should be able to develop a permanent solution to this issue very quickly. 

@Eileen in Virginia,  It's a very easy fix.   Quick, simple.   The tech support QVC has chosen for their website is dreadful, and so we seldom see response to problems that even slightly resembles reliable, professional concern about online safety and security.   Not to mention the fact that the poor quality of the website is a public embarrassment.   QVC simply doesn't care, in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

I'm using a tablet & like @ Montana it's the same for me....Show hides & Hide shows my password but the LOCK is showing when signing in so I thought it's safe....is that right? There are many glitches on this website depending on what device you're using & for me, the small print since the website update is so annoying that I spend less time shopping & posting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'm using a tablet & like @ Montana it's the same for me....Show hides & Hide shows my password but the LOCK is showing when signing in so I thought it's safe....is that right? There are many glitches on this website depending on what device you're using & for me, the small print since the website update is so annoying that I spend less time shopping & posting.

@kitcat51,   The word "SHOW" means you must click on that word in order to tell the system to show your password.   If you see the word "SHOW" that means the system currently is hiding/masking the characters and you'll have to click/tap the word "SHOW" to change that.

It's always been that way on this site (it's that way on eBay, too, if anyone wants to compare), but most of us didn't notice in the past because our password always was masked as a default.

The padlock does mean the login is secure.

I understand, though...  the way it looks, it's about as clear as mud!🙃

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo

I like you!  You have such a nice way about you.  And for us limited tech people explain things in a way we can understand!

Honored Contributor

My password does not show. There was a time when it did....month ago? Doesn't today.

Honored Contributor

Could  someone from qvc,comment ,please.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.