Respected Contributor

Re: QVC Host Dan Wheeler’s Late Wife’s Service To Be Streamed

@redhead78 wrote:

@brandiwine wrote:

@Alsee wrote:

I don't mean any disrespect, but why would anyone want to see an online service for a total stranger?

To me, it's personal to be reserved for close friends and family.

I was thinking the same thing. I get that it allows those friends & family members who can't attend to be able to see the service.  It never occured to me to watch someone's funeral service or wedding that I don't know.  I understand that people who are world figures like Princess Diana or Presidents would have coverage of these events.  Everyone gets to choose what they do and I don't see any problem with your post.

I would explain it here but I think it would go on deaf ears. Hard to believe your comments.

I was merely stating my own thoughts, not in any way disrespecting other people's views.  My heart goes out to the Wheeler family and friends and to all who are grieving. Grief is always a very personal thing.  What's right for one is not right for the other.

Honored Contributor

Dan talked about Beth and how she preferred not to be in the limelight.  He said.... "it was her turn now".  He wanted people to know the kind of person she was.  He wanted the world to know because.....it was  her turn...and his way of saying...thank you and I love you........fly high.  Oh, that there were more men like this!!    

Valued Contributor

I did watch the video and I thought the pastor gave a heartfelt eulogy and food for thought for even those who didn't personally know Beth. Dan also made heartfelt remarks and I was glad for the most part he could convey his thoughts and thanks without totally falling apart. Glad QVC is giving him a paid 6 mo leave of absence.

Super Contributor

@elruth wrote:

I did watch the video and I thought the pastor gave a heartfelt eulogy and food for thought for even those who didn't personally know Beth. Dan also made heartfelt remarks and I was glad for the most part he could convey his thoughts and thanks without totally falling apart. Glad QVC is giving him a paid 6 mo leave of absence.

Dan will also be posting blogs about his Journey. Six Months is certainly a generous amount of time for Family Leave (my Dad had 3 mos. when my Mom passed) and Dan needs to heal and grieve. It does take time, especially since he's gone through this for 3 Years. My thoughts and Prayers will continue to be with Dan and his Daughters and the Families.

Valued Contributor

I watched the on line memorial service for Beth and I was so very moved by it! I was brought to tears several times especially when Dan spoke so lovingly of his wife & her life.

There should be nothing negative whatsoever on this thread. Dan opened up his heart & life to his QVC customers and I have so much respect for that man even more than I've had before. He seems like a true, genuine gentleman through & through.

As someone already mentioned, I also think Dan opened up the memorial to view on line because of his profession. He needs all the support, love & prayers right now and I think he's getting it in the very best way he knows how. You can feel his grieving. My heart breaks for him.

And if viewing Beth's service on line brought unbelievers to know the same faith they share, that alone is worth it 10x fold in my book. 

What a tremendous & heartwarming company QVC is to provide Dan with a paid 6 month leave of absence. Kudos Q! 

And hopefully by then the sympathies & condolences from callers will be weeded out for the most part because I'm sure that will be extremely hard for Dan to endure when you have a camera on your face. 

Wishing many blessings to the Wheeler Family! 

Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
I think that it is a nice approach.... I know that some people can't travel or afford to travel and this could allow them to honor a loved one or support the family.

ITA. QVC is a 24/7 operation and I'm sure that people who wanted to attend the services had to work instead. Plus Dan worked in television in other cities before QVC. This gives everyone a chance to share the grieving process.

Super Contributor

So many of us have been following Dan's difficult journey for several weeks now. He has been so open about his love for Beth and the type of person she was. I watched the service online and I have to say it was the most beautiful funeral service of a lay person I have ever seen. They only showed the front of the church, not the people in attendance so there was no intrusion of privacy.I personally was very glad Dan chose to do this. It was a lovely way to honor his wife.

Valued Contributor

Dan did post on his Facebook page that he will not be posting for awhile. He will be posting again once he returns to QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone grieves in their own way. Most of us don't live a public life. That said, his way wouldn't be mine but I wish him and his family peace.
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Everyone grieves in their own way. Most of us don't live a public life. That said, his way wouldn't be mine but I wish him and his family peace.

This is the only response I've read so far that helps me understand why DW is reacting to his wifes illness and death in such a social media way. Thanks.