Respected Contributor

QVC-HSN down 4 percent this quarter

Losses in Beauty ( then stop with the never-ending Josie!) Home and Jewlery.

Yes, times are a changing....most people can find the same proucts with no S&H and $$ returns.Or much less.  At least for me anyway. I was wasting too much money.

https://www.philly.com/business/retail/qurate-retail-group-qvc-hsn-home-shopping-philadelphia-earnin...

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC-HSN down 4 percent this quarter

There was time when QVC was unique in their items, not anymore. I can find the same or very similar things elsewhere and for cheaper prices.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

There are only so many Dysons, Keurigs, Amazon Fire Tablets, or Mosquito zappers you can buy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love that the headline says “we’re living in a changing world”. Well then, change with that world.  Maybe you’ll be surprised. 

Do something to speed up your shipping times.  They’ve gotten ridiculous. 

Do something on the shipping prices.

Offer some sort of loyalty rewards programs like Talbots or gazillions of other retailers.  Maybe on fashion or shoes or beauty. Put your thinking caps on and come up with something creative. Heck, even my dry cleaner has a loyalty program.

Every so often do an offer like $10 off a $50 or more purchase.  Or something like that. 

Stop offering the same TSV’s over and over and over again and also stop showing those TSV’s so many times during the day and shorten the presentation length on the TSV’s.   If I’m not interested in a bed for example, I’m going to change the channel the very nanosecond I see that you’re going to talk about that bed for a solid hour.  You’ve lost me and I won’t check in again that day.

Shorten the length of the presentations on ALL products. 

You’ve got gazillions of products online that you never show.  Show some of them. 

Offer real sales.  I don’t consider easy pays for 4, 5 or 6 months a good deal. Far from it. It’s a major turnoff for me.  

Look for some innovative products.  I loved the 50 in 50 tours. I realize that there were huge production and travel costs, but maybe do it again and send out a few scouts to each state.   Narrow the products down and do the 50 in 50 shows in the studio.  Have the finalists come to you.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I would have thought the loss would have been more than 4%.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh   I think you've absolutely covered the waterfront and saved me a lot of typing!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@gidgetgh   I think you've absolutely covered the waterfront and saved me a lot of typing!

@RoughDraft - and that was just off the top of my head.  I’m no marketing whiz and have no retail experience, but I’m one heckuva shopper and I’m smart and have common sense. 

I think we all give good suggestions here on the forums, but management must not read them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

My take on this.  

1.  Prices are rising and I can get similar items somewhere else.

2.  Hosts spend more time promoting themselves than the product

3.  Shipping is high and THEY could use a shopping cart approah

4.  So called sales are not really sales as in AS IS or CLEARANCE

5.  Fewer choices and over and over offers of cosmetics to make you look younger (yeah right! - Snake Oil)

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I would have thought the loss would have been more than 4%.

I agree. 

Even though I would like to buy certain items they feature, when I click and find a much better deal I buy from a competitor.

The "laziness" of the executive team (the ones who make the really big bucks) that is evidenced by all the lackluster, mediocre and repetitive products all the posts point to is really quite stunning!!

Why aren't all those "bright-eyed and bushy tailed", middle-management graduates of MBA schools (or those having success in retail without the "degree") cropping up at QVC to SHAKE THINGS UP??? 

It seems like Mike George sticks to the mantra:  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Now with these shriveling profits, maybe he'll take another look, OR maybe it's time for new senior management at QVC!!

Esteemed Contributor

Great points, @gidgetgh ... my sentiments exactly! When I look at Items Recently Aired, it's like a repeat of the previous day or week. Nothing new - same old products and vendors every week. Online shopping is everywhere, and the Q needs to step up their game plan.