Respected Contributor

QVC Getting Out of the Gold Business?

It looks to me like QVC is getting out of the gold business.  They have fewer and fewer shows, Eternagold is bowing out, and reviews are bad on remaining gold items.  Over the years, I have purchased a lot of gold jewelry from the Q.  Now, what little I've bought has fallen apart, been hollow, or poorly made.  I really hate to take a chance now, because I feel they don't take pride in their gold offerings at this point.  So sad.

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Getting Out of the Gold Business?

I think they've been getting out of it for some time now - at least since gold went way up a couple of years ago or more.

All I ever see is costume jewelry.   That's fine and just because I am not a fan, I still know others like it.  Also, most of what I've seen for gold has been stuff like an 18" chain that is about 1.5 grams of gold.    That's not good.

I can only figure that they did research and it came out that costume jewelry is more in their targeted market.  They have to sell whatever they can sell the most of, as tv selling is expensive.

I'm glad that I have more than enough gold at this point.  Smiley Happy   

Respected Contributor

I do not think they are at all.  They seem to sell stuff when they have gold days.  Judith Ripka sold all of her new all 14Kt jewelry when she was on last week.  I do not mean her clad stuff - her real gold jewelry.  They also sold well their high end real gold.  I just think it is limited due to the price of gold.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the problem is that the price of Gold is way too high.  People expect to get what they did years ago.  I also noticed, that several Jewelry stores going out of business here where I live. I can understand it, but it is sad.  I would just like to see more variety.  I won't buy clothing or shoes.   Seems most shows are that.  I am shoe shopped out.  I have to try shoes on , so if I do buy online, it is from a place that pays shipping both ways. 

Respected Contributor

Sad but true. In Qvc's recent annual and quarterly reports they show a continuing trend of losses in jewelry and electronics.

I think they  were slowly increasing gold offerings as gold stabilized at $1250 -$1300 an ounce, but gold is going up again.

I also agree with what has been discussed here some time ago:

Qvc wants a younger demographic who are not so interested in gold jewelry, they'd rather spend their money elsewhere 

Many of the older crowd have our jewelry already

Many people can't afford good gold jewelry, so Qvc skimps on gram wt, finishing, gems etc. and it gets poor reviews, and is returned.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Veronese appears to be on the way out too, I miss their shows.

Trusted Contributor

May I suggest  gemporia dot com.  I love everything and the prices are realy great l and and the stones are real and beautiful and they have 10kt gold which is more beautiful than our 14kt and they also have 14kt.  Great shipping prices, it is an auction.  I am hooked and have beautiful things. Prices for everyone from $11 to $12,000

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

It looks to me like QVC is getting out of the gold business.  They have fewer and fewer shows, Eternagold is bowing out, and reviews are bad on remaining gold items.  Over the years, I have purchased a lot of gold jewelry from the Q.  Now, what little I've bought has fallen apart, been hollow, or poorly made.  I really hate to take a chance now, because I feel they don't take pride in their gold offerings at this point.  So sad.

The high price of gold....and I just think the mindset of what peopke want to spend their money on has changed....jewelry is just not as popular any more. 

Honored Contributor

I just bought the BEST peice of gold that I've ever purchased from QVC. 

Solid gold 34+ gr. bangle and they had a great price, imho, for both gold *rushes*.  The one in Jan and they offered it again at the same price last week.

If it wasn't significant enough on it's own, I would've bought a second one to stack.  Doesn't need stacking.

Honored Contributor

IMO - the Q has been out of the gold business for a good while.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras