Respected Contributor

Re: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

@dex wrote:

They stole a spot from someone more worthy with their money but they are not a danger to society.I wish they would receive mega fines and long community service work...helping the poor,working in food banks etc.

@dex   Wouldn't it be nice if they had to take all the money they used to get their daughter's into college and provide scholarships to worthy students with it? 

Now to me, that would be justice. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@dex wrote:

They stole a spot from someone more worthy with their money but they are not a danger to society.I wish they would receive mega fines and long community service work...helping the poor,working in food banks etc.

@dex   Wouldn't it be nice if they had to take all the money they used to get their daughter's into college and provide scholarships to worthy students with it? 

Now to me, that would be justice. 

What WOULD be nice is to have the universities provide scholarships

to those worthy students.  This dirty behavior, on a Large Level,

runs much, much deeper than just 50 people forking over cash

for particular kids.  

Peel back the layers.  Get to the core of the problem. 

Respected Contributor

Re: QVC Forums Report: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

The college application process (awful as it is) is designed to get students into appropriate schools where they can be successful.  If a person's "child" isn't up doing the work at a certain college, wouldn't the parents be setting them up for failure to pay to get them in?

Anyway....what I'm wondering is what's going on with the mastermind of this scheme, Singer.  Not hearing much about him.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

I would estimate lori and mossimo combined net work at about 80-85 million myself.  Her bail was 1 million.  Cash would have been 100,000., unless they had to do the whole thing.  Mossimo put up the house.  For some reason they didnt want to put out the cash.  Maybe saving to pay the attornys.  
 Their home is worth a lot, maybe 34 million.  I can't  figure why they didn't put cash up. It is easier to get back than a lien on home.  They came up with half a million for their daughters to get into school. Who knows.

Esteemed Contributor

After pleading guilty in March Rick Singer was released, subject to conditions.

The prosecution has recommended incarceration at the Low End of the Guidelines with 3 years of supervised release.  He has not yet been sentenced.

He has agreed to cooperate fully with the Government and will likely be the star witness at any cases which go to trial in exchange for the leniency.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, Lori and Mossimo are certainly stubborn.

They have both just pleaded Not Guilty to the new round of charges involving Federal Bribery through court documents filed by their attorneys.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tyak wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I hate to see her go to prison but I feel she will get close to a year's time behind bars.

Why do you hate to see her go to prison?  That's exactly where she belongs, both her and her husband.  In their eyes, they're quite the special people and rules don't apply to them like they do to the 'little people.'  I hope the both of them sit in the slammer for a good long time.  But, of course they won't. 

@Tyak 

Oh, please .... lets get some perspective here.  Do you actually KNOW Lori and Mossimo?

I've said it before, but I need to say it again .... OJ murdered two people and didn't do a day of prison.   Judges and juries vary and that's why sentences are always all over the place.  

Maybe I'm the only one here, but I'm giving Lori & her hubby the benefit of the doubt.  They may have retained that attorney because he told them getting them off would be a piece of cake ... and they believed him!  It's pretty obvious that several of the parents now realize their attorneys can't do magic, no matter what their hourly rate is.

One more thought .... if this hadn't become such a big story, I bet a lot of the parents would have just received a slap on the hand.    The prosecutors are practically under a microscope, so they have to be tougher than usual.  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think Lori & Mossimo figure that if they have gone this far, they may as well play it to completion through a trial.

Pleading now will result in jail time and being found guilty at trial will result in jail.

Their attorneys may feel that they still stand a reasonable chance with a jury or at least some sympathetic jurors which may result in a hung jury.

Esteemed Contributor

Just to clarify what happened to Lori & Mossimo's $500,000 from an earlier question:

Rick Singer's fake charitable foundation received $400,000.

He has pleaded guilty and sentencing is pending.

The balance, $100,000 went to Donna Heinel of the USC Athletic Department as bribes for participating in the scheme.

She has pleaded Not Guilty.

USC received none of the $500,000.

Honored Contributor

@allaries wrote:

I know what all those involved did and yes it was wrong but how do all the scouts for high school sports standouts justify giving the chosen ones college access when a lot of them barely make it through high school. They get tuition, room and board, sometimes cars and other perks. Light classes and tutors to help them pass and who knows what else. That to me is disgusting also.

@allaries   I agree!    Why is it that some athletes who happen to be lousy students get through? Then there are the very wealthy that donate so much money and have college buildings with their names on it get their kids through....how is that different?  Isn't it also taking away a spot for someone more worthy?... someone who is a better student?