Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Forums Report: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

Defense lawyers can advise thier clients to accept a plea all day long...and at the end of the day, if the client wants to fight it, they fight it - vigorously.

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

@Cakers3 @Cherry

Excellent comments to those who like to make up their own statistics. 

I know someone who received an athletic scholarship for basketball to attend an excellent university out of state. He would not have been able to go to that school without the scholarship. 

He worked hard academically and athletically.

He is grateful for the values that being involved in team sports instilled in him.

And, he has many friends that have followed this same path.

Now, he is an upstanding member of his community, wonderful parent,  and recently received a prestigious award in his profession. He is an attorney.

I am very proud of my son.

@ZaimeeThank you for sharing this uplifting look at college athletes.

It is amazing that some do not see the importance of using skills and talents not just in education but for the betterment of all humanity.

Kudos to your son and also to you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Somertime, actually a plea deal is not a sure thing. That is between the prosecutor and defense attorney but a judge can reject it if he or she does not think justice is being served.
Respected Contributor

That is true, @Pearlee but it is rare that the plea deal is rejected by the judge.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the vast majority of federal plea deals are accepted by judges, but they use their discretion in the sentencing.

As we have seen with Judge Indira Talwani, she has issued sentences that are in every case lower than the prosecution's recommendations.

However, she is not presiding over every case.  The parents who changed their pleas recently (Elizabeth and Manuel Henriquez) are seeing Judge Gorton who is known to be a strict sentencer.

Honored Contributor

another PRIME example of more money than sense--idiots!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@allaries wrote:

I know what all those involved did and yes it was wrong but how do all the scouts for high school sports standouts justify giving the chosen ones college access when a lot of them barely make it through high school. They get tuition, room and board, sometimes cars and other perks. Light classes and tutors to help them pass and who knows what else. That to me is disgusting also.

@allaries   Yes who knows anything you said is accurate.

Can you provide credible reading sources that " a lot of them barely make it through high school"?

It would be interesting to read about these unintelligent athletic students; assuming they are just dolts.

(spelling edit)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

She and her husband paid $500k to fraudulently get their daughters into college. They deserve more than a few days in jail. I hope whatever plea deal they agree to is still punitive in every respect. Anything less than forty years is a win for them....since they are looking at federal crimes, the max could be 40 yrs...even though that would never happen.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And add on more years to the maximum penalty for the additional charge.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I think Lori & Massimo deserve a couple of years in jail at minimum. Their arrogance is sickening.Felicity when caught, admitted wrongdoing. Lori dug in her heels. She should be used as an example to show that the entitled have to follow the rules too.

After all if you or I dared to bribe our child's way into college we would be sent to jail without a shred of mercy.

Absolutely agree with your statement.

It should be jail for both and not a slap on the wrist jail time.

Felicity Huffman own up to what she did, and that can be respected even though it was wrong and she was guilty.

Lori and Massimo did not and were smug from the beginning. Entitled. Yes, they should be entitled to the upmost sentence and punishment.