Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Forums Report: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

[ Edited ]

I understand @allaries , But there is a difference. these kids were given this stuff because ,they have  athletic talent ,and that is their ticket to ride

The other kids had nothing more ,than parents who defrauded the taxpayer and  students . lying about their abilities. They brought nothing to the table, but money

I am not a sports fan, but a lot of people are ,and they support  the uni's and enjoy all of the sports events. Some of them are big contributors

Olivia Jade just made a crack ,that she didn't care at all about the academic part, she would probably only show up for sports day..

We all know how scholarships work, we didn't all know how bribes and paybacks work  , shutting out the children of taxpayers, so their  totally non academic child ,can steal the place of a kid that worked their tail off to get accepted

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I understand @allaries , But there is a difference. these kids were given this stuff because ,they have  athletic talent ,and that is their ticket to ride

The other kids had nothing more ,than parents who defrauded the taxpayer and  students . lying about their abilities. They brought nothing to the table, but money

I am not a sports fan, but a lot of people are ,and they support  the uni's and enjoy all of the sports events. Some of them are big contributors

Olivia Jade just made a crack ,that she didn't care at all about the academic part, she would probably only show up for sports day..

We all know how scholarships work, we didn't all know how bribes and paybacks work  , shutting out the children of taxpayers, so their  totally non academic child ,can steal the place of a kid that worked their tail off to get accepted

@cherry

As the parent of a college athlete I say "great post!"

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

Just heard on the news a short while ago, Loughlin and her husband are facing additional charges including bribery. Hmmm......two weeks in jail is a slap on the wrist as far as I am concerned for anyone who did this. 

Esteemed Contributor

@allaries wrote:

I know what all those involved did and yes it was wrong but how do all the scouts for high school sports standouts justify giving the chosen ones college access when a lot of them barely make it through high school. They get tuition, room and board, sometimes cars and other perks. Light classes and tutors to help them pass and who knows what else. That to me is disgusting also.

Sports scholorships are disgusting?

There's a huge difference between the illegal acts of bribery, money laundering, fraud, etc., to the legal act of scouts recruiting athletes for their college teams. I suggest you type something like "The Importance of College Athletic Programs to Universities" or "The Importance of Sports Programs in Schools" into you search engine. There are reasons universities offer these gifted athletes scholarships as opposed to, say...crooks. 

Esteemed Contributor

The arrogance of these two parents has been nauseating. Just watching some of their daughters' comments speaks volumes. When I think of the many qualified students I had to reject because we had run out of available slots in my admission work, I still feel awful. These obnoxious entitled-feeling jerks should receive stiff sentences. I'll bet the authorities can find available slots in prison. Maybe they can find a place to practice some elite sports that their kids never played.

Valued Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@cherry

As the parent of a college athlete I say "great post!"

Well as the grandparent of a young man who used his brain to get his PHD and owes 50,000 in student loans I say this is not fair and shows what our country thinks is important. No wonder other countries are ahead of us in research and technology. We care about someone with brawn not brains running up and down a field to reach a goal line. Some of the professional players cant even get through an interview.Duh!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just because a student enrolls in college with an athletic scholarship doesn't mean the student is not as smart as another student.

I think many of you would be surprised at the very low number of students who attend college with such a scholarship.

Not to mention such a scholarship will help a student who could not otherwise afford to attend college.

Either we support all students regardless of how their education is paid or we support no students at all.

It is how a graduate contributes to the betterment of our society and not how the graduate obtained his/her degree.

eta:  Meaning how the degree was obtained without parental influence such as the current admissions scandal.  Although I'm sure most know what I meant I can hear the alarm being sounded.  lol

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Absolutely @Cakers3 . Scholarships for athletes have helped many deserving young people , go to school. To depict them all as dumb ,isn't fair nor i,s it truthful

Many of them have been wonderful examples to others,  and given people who love sports lots of pleasure

Athletes also risk a chance of injury and their careers can be over in the twinkle of an eye. It is a shame to look down on people that are trying to better themselves honestly using God given talent. I am proud of the fact it has opened many doors for some deserving people

Honored Contributor

Who wants to go to prison, not very many people would opt for that.  The loss of privacy, every right you have is taken away just about.  You are told when to sit, when to stand ,when to eat and what to say...it is hard.  But like anything, a oerson would adapt.  I do object to the privlidged sitting in finer places with computers if they can afford it.

no wonder so many resent the classes.  Justice may be blind sometimes, but it sure isnt once you go to jail.  You can pay your way through it.

this is probably why the poor serve longer sentences in the crumiest facilities,and are often given longer sentences, and accused unjustly.  This is a fact.  If you cannot afford a top a top lawyer you are dead meat

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Absolutely @Cakers3 . Scholarships for athletes have helped many deserving young people , go to school. To depict them all as dumb ,isn't fair nor i,s it truthful

Many of them have been wonderful examples to others,  and given people who love sports lots of pleasure

Athletes also risk a chance of injury and their careers can be over in the twinkle of an eye. It is a shame to look down on people that are trying to better themselves honestly using God given talent. I am proud of the fact it has opened many doors for some deserving people

@cherry   I should be surprised that some would have a scale to assess the worthiness of any student based upon the type of scholarship or loan.

Then again, I wonder how many puffing negatively about athletic scholarships have actually met somebody who had one?

That person could very well be somebody who contributes for the betterment of all people, regarless of any other factors.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh