Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC Forums Report: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

I thought it was pretty clear by now that none of the $$$ went to any of the schools.

The bribe money went to Rick Singer and the pockets of his accomplices at various Athletic Departments.......USC received none of this money.  Therefore, no building could be built.

So, therein lies the difference between a parent making a legal donation directly to a school and a parent paying bribe money to falsify records.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I thought it was pretty clear by now that none of the $$$ went to any of the schools.

The bribe money went to Rick Singer and the pockets of his accomplices at various Athletic Departments.......USC received none of this money.  Therefore, no building could be built.

So, therein lies the difference between a parent making a legal donation directly to a school and a parent paying bribe money to falsify records.

@Johnnyeager   Okay so one way is legal by giving or donating money to a school and the other way is not by bribery.  However both ways still take a spot away from a more academically gifted student.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Well you might be right, but  I am willing to see it happen...I doubt it will be a happy experience for her, and it won't be something she will want to repeat @dex 

It just burns me to see some poor person ,who  is facing hard time ,for doing far less than she did. It will at least look like justice can't be bought, even if it isn't always fair

In our area we have many homeless(poor) and they rarely end up in jail for any crimes.Residents and businesses are becoming upset and the media has reports.

I think prisons should only be for dangerous criminals.We need to find a way to keep non violent people from reoffending without locking them up.I think community service could change many people and would benefit society.I would like to see mandatory rehab,job training and community service sentences.

I don't know where you live, but I read this morning that in California that  Prop 47 allows shop lifters to not be prosecuted for stealing anything with a value less than $950.  This was done to keep non violent petty criminals out of jails. It is now only a misdemeanor.

Now, there are hoards of people who are making a pretty good living from shop lifting.  Street people and druggies have a good income and a new job.  The merchants are out of millions of dollars a year. Criminals are going into retail establishments with a calculator to make sure they don't "over steal."  No one is able to stop this activity.

Allowing people go just get away with crimes because they are not dangerous is ridiculous and stupid.  I can't for the life of me figure out how this is making things better.

Something  like this encourages honest people to get in on the game too.

Esteemed Contributor

As I said before, how can Lori and husband say they didn't know??  The girls images were inserted in fake picture of athletic scenarios. What did they think that was... just pretty pictures of their girls???  I really hope they get some real punishment, not just a fine and community service.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe that a private school can reserve slots for legacies and children of wealthy donors if they like.  Virtually every private school does this.  The legacies are probably worse than the wealthy donors; at least in that case the school got something.

But, no, I do not view it the same at all.  

Harvard reserves almost 30% of its freshman spots for these types.

Trusted Contributor

Lori and Mossimo have a lot more to lose than some of the lesser-known accused.  Lori's career, as well as her snotty dauther's "career", depends on some measure of good will among potential audience members.  The more hubris they demonstrate, the less of that good will there will be.  By continuing to refuse to acknowledge their guilt, that good will is going out the window--along with their careers.

The prosecutors are trightening the screws.  The continued resistance of Lori and Mossimo only shows how hard-headed they are.

Esteemed Contributor

This has been going on for many years amongst the elite. It is well known, and an accepted, although covert, practice by these ivy league schools. Yes, this is a blemish, but once the hoopla is a distant memory, it will most likely be business as usual. There are TOO many financial PERKS given to the universities, by those financially able to provide them. The parents that are providing the fringe benefits, will just find a more CLANDESTINE way to do it. Some people will do ANYTHING for their children.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

I see the parents guilty of trying to help their kids.... perhaps we all try to do that.  BUT there is a difference, I know the " having someone take your test for you" or put you on a sports team for a sport you don't even play is totally wrong, criminal.... etc.  But if we really look into the situation and to be fair....  I wonder how many kids were selected over the past years because their fathers/mothers donated a buidling, a rec hall, funded school charities, were benefactors for whatever the school needed.  Honestly wouldn't they get some sort of special treatment. This has been going on from the very beginning. 

And from way back in time schools gave preferences to alumni children.  I know my dad     dragged me to this university and wanted to show  me around as well as show me off.  I did visit this Ivy League school way up north.  I am the one who said NO WAY.  I had my sights on something more to my l liking in an area I was more comfortable with. 

And as for their kids not knowing what was going on.  I don't believe that one for a  minute.  

Honored Contributor

Just saw a report on the news that Lori and her hubby will plead not guilty to the new charges.....they are really going for all or nothing. I am surprised since the prosecution was hinting they might be charging both daughters also....but I guess they feel their celebrity will let them walk away unscathed rather than doing jail time.
Honored Contributor

College sports will not become any cleaner if the athletes are allowed to accept money for endorsements now. The NCAA has not decided upon the guidelines but I can think of a lot of “unintended consequences” they will be lamenting about in the future if this takes place.