Re: QVC Forums Report: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Massachusetts

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Additional Charges Filed Against Parents in College Admissions Case

BOSTON – A grand jury in the District of Massachusetts has returned additional charges against 11 of the 15 parents charged in the college admissions case.

The new charges in the third superseding indictment allege that 11 defendants – Gamal Abdelaziz, Diane Blake, Todd Blake, Mossimo Giannulli, Elisabeth Kimmell, Lori Loughlin, William McGlashan, Jr., Marci Palatella, John Wilson, Homayoun Zadeh, and Robert Zangrillo – conspired to commit federal program bribery by bribing employees of the University of Southern California (USC) to facilitate their children’s admission. In exchange for the bribes, employees of the university allegedly designated the defendants’ children as athletic recruits – with little or no regard for their athletic abilities – or as members of other favored admissions categories.

So the ones who already pled guilty would not face these new charges, correct?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I think that's right.  Their attorneys knew the new charge was coming and probably convinced them to plea before it happened.  Who knows why Lori and Mossimo waited?

Honored Contributor

Perhaps arrogance.It takes humility to admit guilt, and take responsibility for it

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Yes, I think that's right.  Their attorneys knew the new charge was coming and probably convinced them to plea before it happened.  Who knows why Lori and Mossimo waited?

Maybe seeing Felicity in prison garb is scaring them?

Maybe their attorney is telling them it's a huge gamble to let it go to trial.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Re: Lori Prepared to Change Plea

[ Edited ]

Just now she was charged with another charge.  She is in deep doo doo.  I didnt hear what the charge was, but it isnt good.  She should have never fought it.  But to each their own

Honored Contributor

The new charge is bribery.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Note that a number of University Athletic Officials have also been hit with the additional charge:

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Massachusetts

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Additional Charges Filed Against University Athletic Officials and Others in College Admissions Case

BOSTON – A federal grand jury in the District of Massachusetts returned a superseding indictment bringing additional charges against seven university athletic officials and others previously charged in the college admissions case today.  

Gordon Ernst, Donna Heinel, Jorge Salcedo, Mikaela Sanford, Jovan Vavic, Niki Williams and William Ferguson have been charged with conspiring to commit mail and wire fraud, and honest services mail and wire fraud, in connection with the previously charged scheme to accept bribes and engage in other forms of fraud to facilitate cheating on standardized admissions tests and to secure the admission of students to elite universities by designating them as purported athletic recruits or members of other favored admissions categories. Six of the defendants—Ernst, Heinel, Salcedo, Sanford, Vavic and Williams—also face substantive wire and honest services wire fraud charges in connection with the scheme.

In addition, three defendants, Ernst, Heinel, and Salcedo, face new charges of conspiring to commit federal programs bribery by soliciting and accepting bribes to facilitate the admission of students to the universities where they worked: Georgetown University, the University of Southern California, and The University of California – Los Angeles. Ernst is also charged with substantive counts of federal programs bribery and money laundering.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

I cant find the charges against Lori and Mossimo.  I heard on news new charge of bribery, but didnt hear rest of it.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty 

I posted them earlier in this thread!  Post #28

Valued Contributor

I know what all those involved did and yes it was wrong but how do all the scouts for high school sports standouts justify giving the chosen ones college access when a lot of them barely make it through high school. They get tuition, room and board, sometimes cars and other perks. Light classes and tutors to help them pass and who knows what else. That to me is disgusting also.