Respected Contributor

Re: QVC Debited my account today for 1 penny !!!!!

This is probably not the same issue.  I agree it is probably just a computer that did it.  Would be hard to scan (by people) every single transaction.

I had my debit card cancelled suddenly.  When I called, they told me there was a $1.00 charge they felt was suspicious.  Turns out, it was.  Someone charged $1.00 at a gas station in another state.  This is done as a test by scammers to see if they can keep using your card number.  It is flagged to be investigated as fraud - and it was.  I had to get a new card.

Other companies will run a test charge on a new customer.  If it goes through, they can be sure the card is legit.  They will then retract the charge and just put through the legitimate one.

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003   I agree.  This happened to me a few months back.  It was a charge for $1.00. Chase Bank caught it, notified me of the suspicious transaction and requested me to contact them. They explained what happened, someone puts a small amount on the card to make sure it's an active account and then later on will put through a much larger amount. 

When I changed my bank account information on something, that company also did a 'test' to make sure the account was legit.  They debit it a small amount like a penny or a dollar and then reverse it once they confirm the account is active.

My card was replaced with a new number with instructions to make sure any automatic deductions should be changed to the new card.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

Awhile back, I underpaid a charge card bill by something line $.10.  I always pay in full each month, but messed up the payment, apparently.  Was charged interest the following month based on whatever calculations they use.  A simple call to customer service at the bank who cleared the entire transaction, after seeing my payment history.  The computers don't differentiate.  But things like this are so easily handled usually, by a simple phone call.

Honored Contributor

If you owe a penny, you still owe it. If Q started ignoring stuff like this ,it would quickly mount up

I am responsible for what I owe ,and so is everyone else

Honored Contributor

I had a hospital bill me for three months for a penny. I called and talked to them each time and assured them that I'd just add the penny to my next bill from the hospital (I was in and out of the hospital fairly routinely at the time) and they said fine, but still billed me. Then they turned me over to a bill collector. The lovely young woman who called on behalf of the collection agency suggested maybe I could pay off the debt in three monthly installments. (She hadn't seen how big the debt was.) I said that sounded like a great idea. She then looked up my account on her computer and said, "A penny? They're billing you for a penny?" I laughed and pointed out it was kind of stupid for me to send them a check for a penny and she agreed. She called over her super and he laughed and said to forget it. I got another bill from the hospital the next month for the penny again, so I taped a penny to a postcard and sent it back. They then sent me a receipt and advised me not to send cash for future payments as it could easily be stolen. They spent far more than the penny they were trying to get to get the penny, but by God, they got their penny.

I think common sense isn't all that common these days. the hospital spent more than a hundred times what they were trying to collect to collect the penny. That's not a sound financial move.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman 

You let your debt to go to collections  over a penny?  All that effort wasn't in trying to get their penny.  They were trying to get your account to balance $0.00. That's all.

Honored Contributor

Why does that upset you so much?  The computer did it automatically.  Good grief, of all the things to get in a snit over....a penny.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

Sounds petty, but it isn.t  The computer did it.  It probably cost them a lot more than one cent to process the transaction.  That said, if every purchase was short a penny, it would add up to a significant sum.  

Don't try to insert logic into this....LOL   

Honored Contributor

OP apparently you are concerned and upset because you did say you are ready to be done with QVC over this 1 cent.

Valued Contributor

The interesting thing is it probably cost them more than a penny to do the transaction.