Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

QUOTES ABOUT FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE

1.   Freedom is the open window through which pours the sunlight of the human spirit and human dignity.

Herbert Hoover

2.   Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.                                         George Washington

3.  Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.

Kahil Gibran

4.   For everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom.

Albert Einstein

5.   For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chain, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.                                            Nelson Mandela

6.   Is freedom anything else than the right to live as we wish?  Nothing else.                          Epecteus

7.   Freedom lies in being bold.           Robert Frost

8.   Independence is a heady draft, and if you drink it in your youth, it can have the same effect on the brain as young 

wine does.  It does not matter that it's taste is not always

appealing.  It is addictive and with each drink you want more.

Maya Angelou

9.   I am no bird; and no net ensnares me;  I am a free human being with an independent will.            From Jane Eyre

10.   We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.                         William Faulkner

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: QUOTES ABOUT FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE

Outstanding!  Thanks so much for providing such timely inspiration on the eve of Independence Day, @Lindsays Grandma .  You perform such needed, yeoman service on this board.

Hope you don't mind me adding one quote more from my favorite economist and social historian, who just marked his 90th birthday earlier in the week: 

quote-we-enjoy-freedom-and-the-rule-of-law-on-which-it-depends-not-because-we-deserve-it-but-thomas-sowell-108-20-15.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: QUOTES ABOUT FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE

When I got back home today, I couldn't shake some more reflections on this July 4 topic,  and looked up Benjamin Franklin.  My memory was that he spoke at length on many different aspects of freedom.  And he did.  I like this short, pithy one of his, which seems so quintessentially American: