Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION FOR EBAY SELLERS

You can check out just how long they have been an active ebay member and If they have lots of positive feedback as a good buyer for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Check out the buyers feedback rating. Are they a newbie scammer or long time ebayer? I would email them and explain the situation. See what they have to say.

@silkyk 

This person has 400 transactions, going back to 2003.  100% positive feedback.    They haven't yet responded to my email.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44    I bet somebody though she was bidding.  Better accept the offer fast. 

@Kachina624 You might be right about that.

Honored Contributor

Not a seller, so I wouldn't know, but my impression is the seller will accept less when I see "Make Offer."  That's been the case for me. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

Check out the buyers feedback rating. Are they a newbie scammer or long time ebayer? I would email them and explain the situation. See what they have to say.

@silkyk 

This person has 400 transactions, going back to 2003.  100% positive feedback.    They haven't yet responded to my email.

Once again, buyers can ONLY get positive feedback so that doesn't mean a thing. Leaving negs for buyers hasn't been available since May, 2008.

@Linmo 

Because this hasn't happened to you does NOT mean it doesn't happen. Go to the ebay forums and check it out.

ETA: Here's an answer to one of these questions about buyers offering more: 

Sometimes the more audacious of these scammers will "pay" more than the Buy It Now

price, then ask you to send them the difference. I figure why not... any seller who would

fall for the first part of the scam might fall for the second part. I'm glad you weren't one

of those kinds of hapless sellers. Good catch.

Occasional Contributor

Another eBay seller here.  That is most likely a scam.  They put in an offer for more than price to get you interested.  Then they either ask you to add a gift card to the package to be a gift for niece, nephew, cousin etc or they asked you to add cash.  They will then send you a fake email that you got paid when you did not.  You ship the item and a few days later you realize you never got paid and you were scammed out of the item and the cash/gift card that you added extra.  

This is a pretty big scam that happens to lots of sellers who are new or don't have a lot of recent sales.   Usually they hacked into the buyer account you are seeing also.  Just be very careful with this.  Do not talk to buyer by phone or text.  Only by eBay message.  If you accepted that amount be very careful that the money is really in your PayPal or in eBay managed payments if you are in that.  Do not trust emails....those can be faked.  Login into PayPal or eBay to actually see the money is there.  You may have not seen scam yet but is is all over eBay sellers message boards. 

Occasional Contributor

@Sushismom is correct.  Feedback is worthless to look at for buyers.  They can only receive positive feedback since 2008.  Sellers cannot even leave a positive feebck with a negative message.  Sellers are not allowed to say anything negative about buyers in feedback and if caught they will get in trouble.  

Respected Contributor

@AmyRD71 @Sushismom No offense intended, but I think you're giving eBay a bad rap.  Things have changed for the better for both buyers and sellers over the past several years. 

As both a longtime buyer and seller, I've had very few issues that were all handled properly by eBay's protection policies.  If you don't follow the rules as a buyer or a seller, then you are not covered.

As long as the OP does not communicate with the buyer outside of eBay messages, accepts the agreed to payment and ships to the confirmed address, they are covered in full by seller protection.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo 

No offense taken. However,  the truth is that some so-called buyers will take advantage of sellers and that sellers have little protection from ebay. 

I, too, have been an eBayer since 1999 and have belonged to their boards since 2001. I've seen many changes happen over the years and many scams. It's always much better to be prepared than to fall for one of them.

Honored Contributor

@AmyRD71 wrote:

Another eBay seller here.  That is most likely a scam.  They put in an offer for more than price to get you interested.  Then they either ask you to add a gift card to the package to be a gift for niece, nephew, cousin etc or they asked you to add cash.  They will then send you a fake email that you got paid when you did not.  You ship the item and a few days later you realize you never got paid and you were scammed out of the item and the cash/gift card that you added extra.  

This is a pretty big scam that happens to lots of sellers who are new or don't have a lot of recent sales.   Usually they hacked into the buyer account you are seeing also.  Just be very careful with this.  Do not talk to buyer by phone or text.  Only by eBay message.  If you accepted that amount be very careful that the money is really in your PayPal or in eBay managed payments if you are in that.  Do not trust emails....those can be faked.  Login into PayPal or eBay to actually see the money is there.  You may have not seen scam yet but is is all over eBay sellers message boards. 

@AmyRD71 

I know about the scams, but it doesn't work unless I ship the item before they pay ... which is not happening.

Just fo rthe heck of it, I accepted the offer, and her payment for the item and shipping is sitting in my Paypal account.  I need to ship by Tuesday evening.

Still think this could be a scam?