Honored Contributor

This is a new one for me, but maybe it's fairly common ....

I had a cute little leather bag I put on auction for $85 with the Best Offer option.  I would have been happy to get $65 for it, but you never know.

Well, I got a Best Offer for $100 for my $85 auction,   MORE than I was asking?   Usually bargaining is involved, but why would I bargain?  

Has anyone ever been offered more than they asked?  Not several people bidding and the price increases, just offering more than asked?

Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION FOR EBAY SELLERS

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

This is a new one for me, but maybe it's fairly common ....

I had a cute little leather bag I put on auction for $85 with the Best Offer option.  I would have been happy to get $65 for it, but you never know.

Well, I got a Best Offer for $100 for my $85 auction,   MORE than I was asking?   Usually bargaining is involved, but why would I bargain?  

Has anyone ever been offered more than they asked?  Not several people bidding and the price increases, just offering more than asked?

@Tinkrbl44 

Yes once many years ago when ebay relatively new and people were confused lol.  Did you accept the offer?

Respected Contributor

I think it was just a mistake.  My husband sells on Ebay.  A potential buyer contacted him last night that he made an error on a bid and needed help fixing it.

Respected Contributor

No, it wasn't a mistake. Many scammers will offer MORE than necessary and hope the seller is a bit greedy and sells to them. 

Either the amount the buyer offers is bad or when it arrives then it's SNAD and something cheap is returned to the seller. 

If you go to the forums on ebay, you'll see how often this happens. 

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

No, it wasn't a mistake. Many scammers will offer MORE than necessary and hope the seller is a bit greedy and sells to them. 

Either the amount the buyer offers is bad or when it arrives then it's SNAD and something cheap is returned to the seller. 

If you go to the forums on ebay, you'll see how often this happens. 

@Sushismom 

SNAD ?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 More than likely, they meant to offer $10 instead of $100.  I don't think it's a scam.  eBay has pretty good policies for both buyer and seller protection.

Respected Contributor

Check out the buyers feedback rating. Are they a newbie scammer or long time ebayer? I would email them and explain the situation. See what they have to say.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ebay has LITTLE seller protection. Once again, go to the forums and see how often this happens. Since buyers can ONLY get positive feedback, looking at their feedback won't tell you a thing. And asking them won't get the results you think - any scammer would say it was just a mistake.

@Tinkrbl44 

SNAD=Significantly Not As Described

Respected Contributor

@Sushismom I've been an eBay seller since 1999 and have never had that happen.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    I bet somebody though she was bidding.  Better accept the offer fast. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment