Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT YOGURT EXP. DATE

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have eaten a LOT of things beyond the expiration date (within reason) and never had a problem.  Food has a way of telling us if it is bad, whether by sight, color, smell, or texture.  I would eat it.  But everyone has to decide these things for themselves.  I hate wasting food.

Food can be spoiled and not be obvious to someone.  I mean, I would doubt that everyone who got food poisoning decided to chow down on something that stank horribly or looked rotten, right? Just be careful.  Food poisioning is no joke.  It's incredibly taxing on the kidneys. I too hate wasting food and don't often do it, but I am careful with not taking a chance on my health.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have eaten a LOT of things beyond the expiration date (within reason) and never had a problem.  Food has a way of telling us if it is bad, whether by sight, color, smell, or texture.  I would eat it.  But everyone has to decide these things for themselves.  I hate wasting food.

You forgot to add gastroenteritis to your list.

@Marp LOL!!!  And sometimes you don't get the "alert" until the next day or so. . . 

Well like I said, I have never had a problem, then or days later.  The OP must decide for herself.  Plus, I think some people have more sensitive systems than other people.  What might cause a problem for one person may not cause a problem for someone else.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

The closest I come to "living life on the edge", is to eat expired yogurt.  You've got to grab excitement where you can find it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  - Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner @lol elderly who died a number of times.I only want to do it once..

Honored Contributor

I will agree that the "use by" date is not the "you will die" date or even the "you'll spend tomorrow in the bathroom" date.  

It means it is safe to consume and the product should be "good" at that time.  But the issue with me is that it also means that it is at the later end of the good shelf life. So, how long after that is it good?

How was it handled and stored before it got to me?  I don't know.  So since it will probably start going bad before I can smell or taste it, why chance it?  Why think about it.

If there is a product that usually is hanging around at your house beyond the exp. date, maybe you should think about how much you use it, adjust the size you buy, how often you buy it, etc.  Maybe you are buying it out of habit.