Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT YOGURT EXP. DATE

I have a jar of horseradish in the fridge I keep forgetting to toss out, it expired 05/18.It still smells like horseradish and isn't growing anything, but I wouldn't think of using it. I just don't like the taste of food that is old, I want food to taste good, not just ok or edible.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

All these posts, in an effort to tell-the-big-tale of how far

‘eaten after the expire date‘ they can go....it really just shows a

bad housekeeper.  I shudder to think what the rest of the

house looks like. 

@sidsmom  - Talk about stretching a point to the extreme and jumping to conclusions!  So, if a person has a "past its best by date" item in his/her fridge, that person is automatically a bad housekeeper?

Judgemental much???

Oh the dreaded "judgmental" accusing.  No, it's just a fact.  You don't clean out the fridge very often!  Not the end of the world, but it is something you should do.  Good grief.  The anguish!  LOL!!!

And you can feel free to accuse me of being judgmental if you like.  I am not afraid of having some standards in life--mine not yours.  And that usually means making some judgment calls about things--so accuse away to this old gal!  I'm not worried.  

All of us have different ideas about things as we can see above.  It doesn't mean we aren't friends, it doesn't mean we have to be Steppford Wives about life.  It means we have differences, and that we are tolerant folk, and aren't so threatened by someone having a different idea about something (especially as trivial as the expiration date of yogurt) that we can't live and let live and love one another.  

I have never lost a friend yet over expired yogurt--at least not that I know of.  And I certainly hope that I never will!  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  - Yes, I'd call it judgemental when a poster says that, if someone has an expired item in her fridge, she's a "bad housekeeper" and  that she'd "shudder to think what the rest of the house looks like".

That's a pretty ridiculous statement, as if an expired product makes one a hoarder or someone who lives in a slum.  And nothing about that is a "fact".

Let's get real - it's an expired food item!

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Sooner  - Yes, I'd call it judgemental when a poster says that, if someone has an expired item in her fridge, she's a "bad housekeeper" and  that she'd "shudder to think what the rest of the house looks like".

That's a pretty ridiculous statement, as if an expired product makes one a hoarder or someone who lives in a slum.  And nothing about that is a "fact".

Let's get real - it's an expired food item!

@Venezia   I agree.  It was over the top. 

There could be filthy houses with no expired yogurt, too.

I didn't know that an expired food product determined whether or not one deserved the Suzie Housekeeper award.

I have a feeling she is, again, getting in another shot about plants and this really isn't about the yogurt.

I'm just sayin'.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

This thread  has become “Yogurt Gate”. I find it very funny!😂 These bad housekeeping assumptions because someone ate an expired yogurt are hilarious! I love this board! 😄❤️ 

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

In my house anything past the expiration date goes in the garbage especially dairy 🙃

Same here and the refrigerator gets cleaned out monthly.  No need to have anything scary in that box.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

All these posts, in an effort to tell-the-big-tale of how far

‘eaten after the expire date‘ they can go....it really just shows a

bad housekeeper.  I shudder to think what the rest of the

house looks like. 

@sidsmom  - Talk about stretching a point to the extreme and jumping to conclusions!  So, if a person has a "past its best by date" item in his/her fridge, that person is automatically a bad housekeeper?

Judgemental much???

Oh the dreaded "judgmental" accusing.  No, it's just a fact.  You don't clean out the fridge very often!  Not the end of the world, but it is something you should do.  Good grief.  The anguish!  LOL!!!

And you can feel free to accuse me of being judgmental if you like.  I am not afraid of having some standards in life--mine not yours.  And that usually means making some judgment calls about things--so accuse away to this old gal!  I'm not worried.  

All of us have different ideas about things as we can see above.  It doesn't mean we aren't friends, it doesn't mean we have to be Steppford Wives about life.  It means we have differences, and that we are tolerant folk, and aren't so threatened by someone having a different idea about something (especially as trivial as the expiration date of yogurt) that we can't live and let live and love one another.  

I have never lost a friend yet over expired yogurt--at least not that I know of.  And I certainly hope that I never will!  

@Sooner  YOU ARE AWESOME!  I really love your post and that is the best last line!  These threads get so nutty. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have eaten a LOT of things beyond the expiration date (within reason) and never had a problem.  Food has a way of telling us if it is bad, whether by sight, color, smell, or texture.  I would eat it.  But everyone has to decide these things for themselves.  I hate wasting food.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have eaten a LOT of things beyond the expiration date (within reason) and never had a problem.  Food has a way of telling us if it is bad, whether by sight, color, smell, or texture.  I would eat it.  But everyone has to decide these things for themselves.  I hate wasting food.

You forgot to add gastroenteritis to your list.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

You forgot to add gastroenteritis to your list.

@Marp LOL!!!  And sometimes you don't get the "alert" until the next day or so. . .