house looks like. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT YOGURT EXP. DATE

@sidsmom wrote:

All these posts, in an effort to tell-the-big-tale of how far

‘eaten after the expire date‘ they can go....it really just shows a

bad housekeeper.  I shudder to think what the rest of the

house looks like. 

Well then I'm sure you're glad you don't have to live with all these people and I'm sure they're very glad you don't too.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

A bit OT: It is my understanding that 'Use By" or "Best By" dates are not, necessarily, expiration dates.

I often drink milk 4 or 5 days after the "Use by" date with no ill effects. It tastes fine and has no after effects.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I would never eat anything this old, but ,I read that they opened a can of corn, that was produced  during the civil war

Some brave soul tasted it, and said it was fine, just a bit stale. I think the shelf life of food is a lot longer than the lable allows

I think the dates are more to insure  freshness, than  actuall food safety.

@cherry,  I grew up before canned foods were dated.  I have used canned foods well beyond the "best by" date.  I do, however, draw the line with foods that have a "use or freeze by" date.  One to three days is okay but no longer, especially not dairy products.

Food manufacturers have stated that canned foods are safe well beyond the best by date.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I have cleaned out the houses of elderly people who died a number of times.

I can tell you food DOES go bad not too long after the exp. date in many cases.  And I can tell you for a fact that canned goods do go bad, cans bulge and explode long before decades pass.  Even cokes explode.  

All of that cured me of keepin and consuming old food.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom.  My yogurt isn't untidy; its just old.  I buy it and just dont get around to eating it.  Im not going to throw it away so I keep it until I need it.  Doesn't have anything to do with housekeeping.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

All these posts, in an effort to tell-the-big-tale of how far

‘eaten after the expire date‘ they can go....it really just shows a

bad housekeeper.  I shudder to think what the rest of the

house looks like. 

@sidsmom  - Talk about stretching a point to the extreme and jumping to conclusions!  So, if a person has a "past its best by date" item in his/her fridge, that person is automatically a bad housekeeper?

Judgemental much???

Trusted Contributor

I have a compromised immune system so, I usually follow the dates.

The dates certainly don’t guarantee safety though.  I have had products smell or taste off prior to the use by date too. (Probably something wasn’t kept at the right temp through the chain of custody from manufacturing, packaging, and shipping. 

Also, once opened, all bets are off.  I have frequently had milk open and spoil before the use by date, as well as the recommended use within 5-7 days of opening. 

I also try not to keep leftovers past a few days and am particularly careful with deli meats. (Wet, sliminess means listeria) 

If a canned or jarred item is a little past the date, usually it’s okay but, the older it is, there can be noticeable quality and taste compromises.  

Safe doesn’t always translate to tasty.  So, maybe the product needs to be used differently.  (e.g. Put the jarred artichoke hearts in a casserole rather than on or in a salad.) 

Remember the old adage: “When in doubt, throw it out!”.  If you have ever had food poisoning you know it is a good rule to follow!  

Honored Contributor

Ewww...I can’t make myself do that. I write the use by date on top with a sharpie so it’s easily seen and make sure to use it up by the expiration date.
Honored Contributor

I have read that dairy products are especially prone to developing bacteria....so I would err on the side of caution as well. There is “ use by”, “sell by”, and “ best by”.......guess it’s just a judgement call by the customer.