Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT YOGURT EXP. DATE

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

What bothers me is how carelessly people let food go to waste in the fridge and just toss it.

That bothers me more than wondering if a day old yogurt is safe to eat.

I will admit that I am horrible about this.  Before we left for vacation, I tossed food and told DH we have got to start doing better about not wasting so much food.  

Not only is it a complete waste of money but I think about people who don't have any food and here I am tossing stuff.  Smiley Sad

@Lipstickdiva   I'm not saying that I've never wasted food, so please don't feel so bad. 

I'm sure people don't do it on purpose; it's just, as you said, the waste of $$.  I don't get into the "other people don't have food" guilt trip because I can donate to food banks and do what I can to (hopefully) alleviate some of the problem.

USA consumers waste approx. 30%-40% of our food supply according to 2018 stats.

So while tossing out those strawberries that turned moldy may not be the end of the world, add them to the billions of $$ spent on food that ends up tossed and the picture becomes much more severe.

There are people who waste food beyond reason.

Excuses can be made, here and there, but should not be used as the reason for daily waste.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

For the record, last night I ate a Yoplait yogurt that expired Dec 9 2018.  I'm still kicking today.  In the case of yogurt, if you don't want to eat it, give it to your dog.  They love it.  I put it on their food and just mix it in a little bit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

For the record, last night I ate a Yoplait yogurt that expired Dec 9 2018.  I'm still kicking today.  In the case of yogurt, if you don't want to eat it, give it to your dog.  They love it.  I put it on their food and just mix it in a little bit.

@Kachina624- Ahh, but will you still be kicking tomorrow?  Smiley Wink

I have one more container of "Feb 21" to eat.  I'll let you know, if I survive it without any ill effects!

Honored Contributor

I would never eat anything this old, but ,I read that they opened a can of corn, that was produced  during the civil war

Some brave soul tasted it, and said it was fine, just a bit stale. I think the shelf life of food is a lot longer than the lable allows

I think the dates are more to insure  freshness, than  actuall food safety.

Respected Contributor

All this talk about eating expired food is reminding me of Hoarders and they crazy stuff they find in people's fridges and freezers.  I would not risk food poisoning, it is so hard on the body and takes the life out of you.  I have been food poisoned before, not my own fault but someone else's digusting food handling practices, and I thought I would die.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I would never eat anything this old, but ,I read that they opened a can of corn, that was produced  during the civil war

Some brave soul tasted it, and said it was fine, just a bit stale. I think the shelf life of food is a lot longer than the lable allows

I think the dates are more to insure  freshness, than  actuall food safety.

Canned foods will keep for decades (or longer) as long as the seal isn't broken.  They're sealed under such high pressure and heat.  

However, if that seal is even remotely dented or more importantly, if the can shows any signs of bulging - toss it.  Botulism isn't a laughing matter.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624- Ahh, but will you still be kicking tomorrow?  Smiley Wink

I have one more container of "Feb 21" to eat.  I'll let you know, if I survive it without any ill effects!

@Venezia.  I'm pretty sure we'll both be okay.  My yogurt tasted fine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I know someone who has removed mold from the top and eaten the yogurt long after the expiration date without ill effects.  Me?  If ever I have to ask it is thrown out. I can't take chances.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

they are fine, I keep Yoplait for months and more months!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

This is true. I always let my dog lick the label from the yogurt and leave her a little

taste in the container. She sits there and watches me eat it and waits for her sample.