Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT FLORIDA AND COVID 19

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Increased deaths are part of the reopening plans. No one is denying that. Some just don't care much about it.

Why is your response always that people don't care? I have to assume you don't care about the people that die from the flu every year. I haven't seen you call for a shutdown every winter to save those lives. Why don't you care about those people?

If you care about unnecessary COVID-19 deaths in service to Wall Street then nothing I've said applies to you and we are in complete agreement. Woman Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Increased deaths are part of the reopening plans. No one is denying that. Some just don't care much about it.

Why is your response always that people don't care? I have to assume you don't care about the people that die from the flu every year. I haven't seen you call for a shutdown every winter to save those lives. Why don't you care about those people?

If you care about unnecessary COVID-19 deaths in service to Wall Street then nothing I've said applies to you and we are in complete agreement. Woman Happy

Sadly, @Porcelain & @pigletsmom, it's yet again necessary to remind that Covid is NOT like the flu in several crucial ways that we all should know by now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

So you're in service to something while you allow people to die of the flu each year. Got it. We could save so many lives but no one cares I guess.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Sadly, @Porcelain & @pigletsmom, it's yet again necessary to remind that Covid is NOT like the flu in several crucial ways that we all should know by now.

@suzyQ3   I didn't say it was like the flu. I said that people who go about their lives every winter apparently don't care about the people that die from the flu. Think of all the lives we could save if we shut down all winter. Why don't people want to do that?

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3   I didn't say it was like the flu. I said that people who go about their lives every winter apparently don't care about the people that die from the flu. Think of all the lives we could save if we shut down all winter. Why don't people want to do that?

What about people who fall off ladders?

That happens more than you'd think. I think we can care about unnecessary deaths in general while still actively combating this particular new, novel, deadly, virulent, highly contagious virus that nobody has immunity to and for which there is no cure or vaccine. At least I can. Woman Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

One thing I found interesting regarding numbers in Florida (where my mom lives and I would like to visit) vs. Pennsylvania (where I live), Fl has roughly double the population of PA.  However their Covid numbers are at least half including deaths...why? 

I realize that PA got it sooner but it's now many weeks later than when the northeast first got it.  Plus Fl has been less strict about social distancing that PA....just thought that this was interesting.

Flying however looks very dangerous to me and I won't be getting onto a plane for some time.  I simply can't physically drive that long to get there to see her.

Why is the big question with this virus. Lots of things about it don't seem to make a lot of sense. You would think population density would play a role, but a country like India with an incredible population density is relatively untouched with just 85,940 cases among 1.3 billion people. NJ has 143,905 cases with a population of just 8.9 million. India has 153 times as many people, but about half the cases of Covid-19. Why? 

Even within NJ you find wild variations. My county only has 446 cases of Covid-19 despite being a major travel hub. Routes 295, 40, 49, the Turnpike all run through my county with route 55 either just in or just out of it. We have lots of diners, restaurants, hotels, motels, truck stops, but just 446 cases with 18 deaths. Hudson County has 17,237 cases with over a thousand dead. Hudson County has 676,061 people while my county has 62,607, so you would expect the numbers to be ten-fold higher, but Hudson County has 38 times more infected. Why? Are Hudson Countians just more reckless? More unlucky?

We're still in the early stages of understanding this virus. It feels like it's been around forever, but it's only been known for about 136 (or so) days. There's still lots more to learn about it. A lot of what we're seeing from the numbers, just don't add up though. Countries you'd expect to get hard hit by a pandemic are relatively untouched while some countries you'd expect to be able to handle things are getting crushed. 

Hi @gardenman! I just logged in after not checking for a while, good to see you're doing well down south.  I'm up north.  All your numbers were very interesting.  Have you ever used Reddit?  You might like the New Jersey subreddit and also the Covid19 subreddit.  You can find them if you google them (once you get there, take out the www and put in old for a nicer, more minimalistic reading experience).  There are a couple daily graphs posted in the NJ subreddit about our numbers, including a breakdown of north, central, and south.  There's an interesting website called rt.live where you can track each state's curves and their rate of transmission.  The Covid19 subreddit is a science based site, which you may also like.

My town of about 55,000 has 1248 cases and 142 deaths.  75-80% of the deaths have come from the 12 nursing homes and long-term care facilities in town, sadly.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Regular Contributor

It's all about testing. How many tests have those countri...

Countries you'd expect to get hard hit by a pandemic are relatively untouched while some countries you'd expect to be able to handle things are getting crushed. 

It's all about testing. How many tests have those countries issued? Are the results of those tests being reported accurately?

There are a myriad of things that would make a town/city/county/state/country's numbers look one way or the other. It's all about the testing -- and accurate testing -- and accurate reporting.

Honored Contributor

Re: It's all about testing. How many tests have those countri...

@fff11 wrote:

Countries you'd expect to get hard hit by a pandemic are relatively untouched while some countries you'd expect to be able to handle things are getting crushed. 

It's all about testing. How many tests have those countries issued? Are the results of those tests being reported accurately?

There are a myriad of things that would make a town/city/county/state/country's numbers look one way or the other. It's all about the testing -- and accurate testing -- and accurate reporting.

Whether those areas are testing or not, a large increase in deaths would be noticed if the pandemic was hitting them hard. Since you're not seeing the death rates rising in those areas, you can safely assume they're not getting clobbered. It's very hard for an area to hide lots of extra dead people. 

At this moment my county here in NJ (Salem) has 20 Covid-19 deaths while the hardest hit county in NJ, Essex County has 1,546 deaths. That's a 1,526 person difference in deaths between the two counties. We have 745 cases per 100,000 people while Essex County has 2078 cases per 100,000 people.

Deaths tell you which areas are getting hit the hardest. And deaths are hard for an area to hide to fudge the numbers. Testing simply gives you a snapshot of the people being tested at that moment. If you got exposed to the virus on your way to be tested, you'd likely test negative, not enough time for the virus to reach a detectable level, but you'd still have the virus and would show symptoms later despite testing negative. Testing can mislead you, but deaths tell the real story. There's no fudging the death count. If the virus is widespread in an area, the death count will reflect that. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

After FLORIDA TODAY first reported Jones' (Rebekah Jones The scientist who created Florida's COVID-19 data portal) removal from her position in charge of the Florida COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard she created, she confirmed, as reported by CBS-12 in West Palm Beach that she was fired because she was ordered to censor some data, but refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."