Respected Contributor

Re: Q moderators responding on the boards, do you like it or not?

I don't think they should be participating in forums other than answering questions directly about the forums. If a post is removed unless you've seen it before it was removed you don't know why it was removed so why do they even leave those posts. They could just remove the post and send the poster a notification.
I don't like the cheerleading or pats on the back. When I read some of their posts it felt condescending like a teacher praising a student.
Honored Contributor

dooBdoo wrote:

It doesn't bother me.  We knew they've always been there, and I seriously doubt there's more monitoring or reviewing going on...  it just appears that way because we're seeing their comments and answers to questions.  I also seriously doubt they have time to engage in chatting with us.  I do like seeing the explanations and occasional clarifications.

I wanted to append to my first comment.  I'm not sure why anyone thinks the moderation is really different.  The Standards for Participation are still the same as before, and it's always been a moderated forum (we know QVC isn't going to finance a public forum without watching what's being said).  I think most of us have grown so accustomed to the mods' being fairly invisible that now, when we see their posts, it's a jarring experience. 

I could be wrong (happens daily!) but I don't think the forums will be any different once posters adapt to the technical changes.

jmo,ymmv Smiley Happy

(Sure wish they'd give the boot to the outdated emoticons... )

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

dBd,I'll test your theory that they have sanitized this particular forum to become a clone of Among Friends.

If i get banned, it's been a blast posting with and getting to know you.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I love it! They do this on HSN--it makes posters feel as though someone is actually interested.

This is the only thing about the new forum that I do like.

Honored Contributor

i am perfectly fine with it! i wonder if any of them likes the real housewives shows? Woman WinkRobot wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Lila Belle wrote:

dBd,I'll test your theory that they have sanitized this particular forum to become a clone of Among Friends.

If i get banned, it's been a blast posting with and getting to know you.

Oh, lordy!  Lila, I don't want to be the cause of problems for you or anyone else.  If I am, come find me and give me a thrashing...  okay?  Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see anything wrong with the way people were posting before the move to this platform so I wish everyone would continue as before and then see what happens.

I see a lot of trepidation, and don't know why it's there...  but maybe I missed something (very possible!).

Right back atcha, and I hope you continue to post here. Smiley Happy

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

It's been a long time coming. Kinda reminds me of the HSN boards.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

HSN also has moderators that reply in the middle of threads. I don't care for it. Also, I read over there the same company designed both forums. They do look similar.

I think we should be able to discuss current events, if they are not political/religious in nature.

I really enjoyed posting on these boards since 2007. I will do more lurking, then posting now. The Q did a good job of weeding out the viewpoints forum. (being sarcastic)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't mind their presence. When they explain the reasons for a post deletion, I think it's helpful. However reminding us to be nice while we disagree sounds a little like the way I needed to talk to my children when they were anywhere from ages 4-10. Feels condescending when you're an adult. Perhaps phrasing things a little less imperiously, and sticking more to the objective facts that moderators should be fluent in articulating and seasoned in identifying, would lessen that sense of condescension  and contibuteto amore sophisticated place for "chat". 

Patting any single poster on the back seems to be stepping out of the shoes of a moderator and into those of a participant taking a side. That has no place in the position of moderating, imo. You can't moderate if you can't remain impartial.

Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo, I think the Standards have been changed in this regards from what they once were. There seems to be more room for participation of QVC employees who are "badged". I think there is more room for vendors to participate as well, short of trying to sell their products via this Board.

I was surprised yesterday when I came upon a post where the moderator was participating on a person level - giving thumbs up to a recipe someone posted and talking about what she would like to try etc.  

I must admit that I feel very uncomfortable about the moderators participating on a personal level (not QVC related) with individual posters. Somehow it does not ring right given their authority to ban and delete. They are human and if they have developed a kinship with particular posters, would they not be inclined to hesitate a bit if the posters' posts were reported as not falling within the Standards?

I do like, however, that they now explain why something was deleted, even if in only in general terms.  I saw today a moderator who even gave some extra slack to posters after they complained that the scope of the deletion may have been too wide, or posts misinterpreted.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In