Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Put-In-Bay.......has anyone ever been there?

If so, what kinds of things are there to do? Also, any tips on accommodations? Would you go again? Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Put-In-Bay.......has anyone ever been there?

Yes....but unfortunately it was many many years ago and I don't remember much about it and I'm sure it's changed a lot since then anyway. There's surely a web siite for it detailing activities on the Island. Another Island close by that I went to more recently was Kelly's Island. We rented a golf cart and went all over that island.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I've never been there myself, but I have heard it can be a pretty hopping party spot at times.

Super Contributor

i myself too have heard good things. but not been there. the web site idea is good. (-:

Honored Contributor

Back in the day there was pretty much just drinking in bars. I heard that they raised prices and covers to get rid of a lot of the riff raff, but I don't know for sure if that has changed. I haven't been there in several decades now.Some historic things to see, some shopping on a small scale. Some people love it, others find it extremely boring. Check out the web for information and pricing. Things seem too pricey for me considering what really isn't there.

Honored Contributor

DH and I are there several times during the summer on our boat. We were just there last weekend (Memorial Weekend) for the day.

PIB has been trying to become more family oriented so they have attempted to cut down on a lot of the stuff that goes on around the boat docks. For instance, you have to stay on your boat to drink, you are no longer allowed to walk the docks with any type of alcoholic beverage.

There is plenty to do on PIB that doesn't involve going to bars although there certainly isn't a shortage of bars. At night, there is the bar scene and that's about it. DH and I are in our late 40's and generally at night, we stick to our boat. PIB is a much younger crowd than say Kelley's Island or Middle Bass Island.

You can take the Miller Ferry over to PIB or you can take the Jet Express. On the Miller Ferry you can take your car. As far as places to stay, it isn't cheap. If you want to go on the weekend, many places require you to stay both Friday and Saturday night. There are hotels and there is the Island Club and then there are bed and breakfast inns. I've only stayed at the Island Club in a villa that was brand new. Some of the villas are super nice and some are horrible and not kept up but of course on the website they look fantastic.

PIB is having a dock issue this year because they pulled out the docks to redo them and because of our long and cold winter, couldn't get the equipment over there to do what needed to be done. As a result, only 1 dock is open which has really put a hit on their business.

If you are thinking about going with kids or aren't the party type, you may want to consider going during the week when it won't be so active. You also want to check the website to see what is going on over there. Absolutely, positively stay away over Christmas in July unless you are a big partier. It is beyond crazy there. I won't go because of what goes on. The crowd is just too much.

ETA: Prices aren't cheap over there but you have to remember that everything there has to be brought over from the mainland so you pay for that.

Honored Contributor

On 6/2/2014 LipstickDiva said:

DH and I are there several times during the summer on our boat. We were just there last weekend (Memorial Weekend) for the day.

PIB has been trying to become more family oriented so they have attempted to cut down on a lot of the stuff that goes on around the boat docks. For instance, you have to stay on your boat to drink, you are no longer allowed to walk the docks with any type of alcoholic beverage.

There is plenty to do on PIB that doesn't involve going to bars although there certainly isn't a shortage of bars. At night, there is the bar scene and that's about it. DH and I are in our late 40's and generally at night, we stick to our boat. PIB is a much younger crowd than say Kelley's Island or Middle Bass Island.

You can take the Miller Ferry over to PIB or you can take the Jet Express. On the Miller Ferry you can take your car. As far as places to stay, it isn't cheap. If you want to go on the weekend, many places require you to stay both Friday and Saturday night. There are hotels and there is the Island Club and then there are bed and breakfast inns. I've only stayed at the Island Club in a villa that was brand new. Some of the villas are super nice and some are horrible and not kept up but of course on the website they look fantastic.

PIB is having a dock issue this year because they pulled out the docks to redo them and because of our long and cold winter, couldn't get the equipment over there to do what needed to be done. As a result, only 1 dock is open which has really put a hit on their business.

If you are thinking about going with kids or aren't the party type, you may want to consider going during the week when it won't be so active. You also want to check the website to see what is going on over there. Absolutely, positively stay away over Christmas in July unless you are a big partier. It is beyond crazy there. I won't go because of what goes on. The crowd is just too much.

ETA: Prices aren't cheap over there but you have to remember that everything there has to be brought over from the mainland so you pay for that.

Glad you were able to give more updated information, as it has been forever since we've been there. I should have remembered you'd be able to help OP out ! Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Honored Contributor

This is in Lake Erie?

I don't know anything west of Erie PA!