Honored Contributor

I need to go through some papers, but I'm afraid to toss too much. Years ago I made a mortgage payment over the phone. This was before computers were widely used. I made the payment, got a confirmation number and the name of the representative. Of course he gave me a fake name. He cashed our payment and those of others and took off with the funds somehow. I had proof our bank had processed the payment. So when they called over a year later and said we never paid, it was the beginning of a three-year process to get things straightened out. One thing that helped was we were not the only ones. I'm just glad I had that statement! I sent the copy of our bank statement, with everything not pertaining to that blacked out, to a number of offices. It took a lot of time and we were not reimbursed for any of it. We switched companies after that. 

So I guess I'm afraid to toss a lot of statements that could be tossed! Smiley Frustrated

Regular Contributor

Re: Purging Paperwork

[ Edited ]

The timing of this thread is perfect.  I am currently elbow deep in purging paper clutter.  I'm not totally disorganized.  Everything is in marked plastic bins.  Problem is there are so many of them.  

Yesterday I put up 2 shelves to devote a corner to paperwork, printer, ect.   Today was spent organizing and down sizing bins.  This evening I'm shredding banking paperwork dating back to 2000.  

I had to laugh when I saw that someone else has their tax returns back to 1976 as I do too.  I considered getting rid of them a few years ago, but, kept them as it is interesting to look back.  They are the least of my paperwork hoard.

The big paperwork purge is my New Year's resolution.  It may take me the whole year, but, I'm gonna do it!

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainI am pretty organized...your cabinet would make me lose sleep, ha!  I love getting things in order so that cabinet of yours would be first on my list today to get cleaned up, which of course would then lead to another cleaning project...it never ends but gets easier.

One of my favorite things to do is clean out and organize.