Respected Contributor

Re: Purchasing a car with credit reports frozen

@Ainhisg  I put a freeze on all 3 of my credit reports several years ago. When applying for anything I'll ask which Credit Reporting Agency do they use and then I'll lift the freeze for 2 to 3 days.

Respected Contributor

OP here.   Thank you so much for all the responses!  I found out exactly what I needed to know!  I hope everyone has a great rest of your day!

Respected Contributor

I have mine locked through Experian.  If I want to unlock it I just do it online and it happens immediately.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who absolutely refuses to unfreeze her credit and the satellite company refuses to give her service.  And she had an excellent rating with them years ago.

Frequent Contributor

Leave the reports alone, and pay cash for the car. If you don't have enough money, find a used car that you have enough cash to cover the total purchase. Lots of uncertainty abounds. You can check your car off the list. Ownership is the key now.
Respected Contributor

I have credit freezes with the 3 major credit bureaus.  Temporarily lifing the freeze on line is simple.  You choose the date you want it lifted and the date you want it restored.  Both are effective at 12:01am on the dates you choose.  You can print out whatever the website shows for the lift and restore.

You might talk to the dealership manager about the freeze and see what they say about which credit bureau(s) they use.  I have no idea and it may depend on the dealership.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1Mine have been frozen for years after the data breaches.  It also keeps me relatively safe from prying eyes(there are certain exceptions).  I wish I had done it earlier than I did.