Super Contributor

Re: Puppy Breath, Aww what a feeling ...

I LOVE puppy breath!!! Oh my gosh!!! It is one of the best smells ever... Ha ha ha!!!

Honored Contributor

We've had Alfie a week already. He's been a really good boy and plays nicely with all his toys (his favorite is a red rubber ball), doesn't cry when placed in crate at night, goes for rides to get used to travelling (with no problems), loves belly rubs and laying in crook of arm, and has had minimal accidents in the house. DH or I take him out often as he doesn't let us know yet when he needs to go. But, as soon as he goes he heads right for the patio. He watches the birds at the feeder and in the yard but we haven't seen any squirrels or chipmunks yet. That will be an interesting discovery.

Alfie and Anika get along great, he's doing fantastic at leash training, and is getting darker in color as predicted by his breeder. He loves everyone he meets and is affectionate and lovey-dovey with the little 3 year old next door and the kids at the bus stop. We are really enjoying him and look forward to puppy training class starting in October.

PS: I just caught him in the bedroom taking a nap in front of the French door. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Gotta love those naps.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update! I am so happy that all is well. All of you are blessed to be together.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/14/2014 AnikaBrodie said:

Alfie is learning new things so quickly at his forever home. Just a few examples ... He walks nicely on a leash although he had no experience with this before. He goes potty outside and immediately heads for the patio door. He sleeps in a crate at night and only the first night did he bark, but just a little. He plays nicely with all his new toys, but prefers a soft rubber red ball. He's learning to play fetch and is pretty good at it. He and Anika are becoming best friends, albeit we allow them to do it at their own rate.

We've started the process of socializing him with other dogs and people. We've been to four pet stores so far, and he's met many dogs (some big, some little) and people at all these locations. We're surprised that he doesn't bark at new situations. People ooh and aah when they see him and ask to pet/talk to him and he's a real gentleman. However, he does provide some real quick kisses.

Sunday afternoon we visited our brother-in-law who is in rehab at a nursing home following a lengthy hospital stay. He was just what the doctor ordered, not only for BIL, but so many other residents on the wing. We can already see that he will make a terrific therapy dog. He's calm and appears to enjoy making people smile. We saw so many smiles today.

We've also started the process of trying to find a groomer for him. I was surprised that many groomers know nothing about stripping a cairn (twice a year). Of course, he's not ready for that yet but we're laying the groundwork. Several groomers told us they clip a cairn, and that is a big no no. Clipping ruins their harsh coat. So, we keep looking. Our former groomer has had some serious health issues so she is not taking any new and/or former clients. What a shame!

So, bottom line, we are enjoying this special bundle of fur that came into our lives on 9-11. He not only provides much joy and love, he also receives it. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Oh, and we think his coat is getting darker every day as the breeder said it would. It appears there's a lot more dark gray and black coming in.

His registered name will probably be (Kennel Name) What's it all about Alfie. Anyone remember the song? The breeder called him Alfie from the time he was born.

How wonderful, Alfie is in the perfect home..glad he and Anika are liking each other! He sounds wonderful, congrats to all of you!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

I am so glad that Brodie sent you Alfie. He sounds like he is going to be a great therapy dog. I remember having a hard time finding someone to strip a dog. I ended up finding someone but I was also trained how to do it. Keep looking because you should be able to find someone.

I am just so happy for your joyful addition.

doxie

I am surprised he does not destroy any stuffed toy!

Honored Contributor

Doxie, I've watched several videos on grooming and stripping a cairn. Alfie won't need stripping til next spring (I think) and I can groom him in the meantime. I'm already getting him used to combs and brushes and slickers and he's accepting them very well on his back, legs and rear. So far, he doesn't like his face brushed and wants to bite whatever I'm using. So, we continue to work on that.

I have two Mars coat kings and they used them on many of the videos. I also have a stripping tool and can do it if needed. But, I'd like to have him done professionally every six to 8 months. I talked to one groomer who said she's taking a refresher course soon and will ask about stripping a cairn and learning how to perform the procedure. She told me her customers that own a cairn want them shaved. I can't believe this! I WILL NOT ALLOW SHAVING; IT RUINS THEIR HARSH COAT.

Speaking of grooming, I caught Alfie "grooming" Anika last evening. He was actually pulling Anika's long fur and had a mouthful in his mouth. And the funny thing is, Anika left him do it without telling him where to get off. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.devil2} Anika is so laid back and they are really warming up to each other. So, when I and DH had a talk with Alfie he seemed to know this was a big no no.

Alfie has a really nice personality and temperament and we see a lot of Brodie in him. He will make a great therapy dog, I'm sure of it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~