Honored Contributor

Time to watch the movie again, and again, and again, and again...😄 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

He'll be part of the 'cancel culture' before long I suspect.

@SilleeMee  Hopefully. Leave the poor animal alone. People are ridiculous sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Punxsutawney Phil

[ Edited ]

To me it's just a reminder that winter is only halfway through!  I can't wait for Spring!

Honored Contributor

February 2, 2009, Mayor of New York Mike Bloomberg got bit by the groundhog on the hand, trying to coax him out of his cottage on Staten Island!

Then, Mayor Bill DeBlasio in 2014 dropped him and he died later.

Leave them alone! Let them hibernate!

Groundhog, Marmota monax, closeup center holding carrot near mouth clean background

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   totally agree ,  poor thing .  I always thought it was cruel holding him up like that and people screaming !   Remember the time that idiot dropped him and he died ....jerk 😠

Esteemed Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

February 2, 2009, Mayor of New York Mike Bloomberg got bit by the groundhog on the hand, trying to coax him out of his cottage on Staten Island!

Then, Mayor Bill DeBlasio in 2014 dropped him and he died later.

Leave them alone! Let them hibernate!

Groundhog, Marmota monax, closeup center holding carrot near mouth clean background

@meallen616  sorry didn't see you wrote about DeBladio before I posted .  That was horrible ,  what a jerk ! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH is from there, well, right outside of town in the country. His nephews were always happy because there was no school that day! 

I'm amazed how many people show up, going by bus very, very early in the morning. The city is not big, and until recently there was no place to stay in town, except the Pantall Hotel, which I believe is still closed. Now there is a nice motel. Most of the people there we know have never been to the ceremony, including DH! 

Groundhogs are cute, but mean! One lives in the library in a windowed "home" with his wife Phyllis year round. We know the current mayor well. He jokes that his office is right next to Phil and Phyllis' home and it is a lot smaller! 

DH was good friends with the recently retired handler, who "wakes" Phil up and talks to him, in "groundhogese" of course, when they were in school. We used to see him from time to time, but he now lives in warmer climates. I know we will see him on TV tomorrow. He's still part of the Inner Circle. 

He would point out the members of the Inner Circle he grew up with. Some are still there, but a lot of the members are younger. 

So at 6 a.m. we will turn on the PCN network to watch the festivities. When our children were in school we all watched together downstairs. 

Of course Phil will see his shadow; he has TV cameras on him! Whether or not he "sees" it for the forecast I personally believe is predetermined by the Inner Circle! Who knows? LOL!  Smiley LOL

95092B9D-AE58-484B-A84C-20A14B895FAE.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

6BD61E23-BDAD-4B38-B606-EB47BB463B48.jpeg

Honored Contributor

what? weekend is almost gone! | Hans Splinter | Flickr

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today is ground hog day, but all day yesterday, my hubs kept saying, "it's groundhog day"  I don't  have the heart    to tell him it's today. LOL