Honored Contributor

Re: Pulling reruns of old TV shows because of their stars' "behavior"

7th Heaven is back on though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I will not watch ANYTHING with that disgusting Cosby but I thought pulling Dukes of Hazzard from rotation was stupid.

I like the Dukes Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I wasn't really sure how to title this, and "behavior" isn't the word I want to use,  but here goes - First 7th Heaven and now The Cosby Show. I mean most of us remember that show fondly - BEFORE we knew what we know now. However, think about all of the other stars of TV shows - they are probably never what they seem to be. They are playing a character. We become attached to the character, not knowing (in most cases) the person in real life. 

I always admired (past tense) Bill Cosby, and I had a kind of crush on Stephen Collins. Who knew they would turn out to be such jerks?

But I don't think the reruns of their shows should be pulled off the air. They were still great shows, with other great actors starring in them. Let the viewers decide whether or not to watch them. 

I agree with this. The shows are fiction, and both you mentioned have great family/moral/social messages, even if a couple of the stars have strayed. 

There are all the other actors that appeared in those productions that are loosing money when they are pulled, and that doesn't seem fair to them.

I agree that people will make their own decisions about whether or not to view the show, and we don't need the network to make that choice for us. 

We (Americans) seem to just eat up trashy reality TV, and the celebrities it creates, so why are these shows singled out? Is it because they are family based, and the stars fell short of their character? It is fiction, after all.

Esteemed Contributor

I always thought Stephen Collins was cute, too.....I never watched the Cosby show; never even seen an episode of it.

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i never liked the Cosby show but i never cared for Bill C anyway, something about him creeped me out and the jello commercials too. 

they do make tons of money in syndication, but considering what he did to women, it is despicable. he should have thought of the consequences of his stupidity with his big head lol

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Especially as he got older, he seemed to babble in an almost inebriated way.

I think he let his celebrity status get the best of him, not just with regard to his heinous treatment of women but also his almost unbelievable hypocrisy in lecturing others on their behavior.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

SydneyH wrote:

I will not watch ANYTHING with that disgusting Cosby but I thought pulling Dukes of Hazzard from rotation was stupid.

Let me see if I got this right. Pulling Cosby is ok with you or not? Pulling Dukes of Hazard is not alright? I realize you said "you will not watch Cosby", but are you ok with pulling it?

I think, like most tv shows, what is shown should be decided not on public sentiment, or their morals. A show is usually based on the number of viewers, which in turn attacts or detracts sponsors. 

To me that is the way it should be. If companies want to pay to sponsor certain shows, my guess most do so to make money. If shows are not watched and can't pay their way?

Fine with me. But the PC police once again jumping in and somewhat making those decision

? I think not. I am guessing that both The Dukes of Hazard and Cosby shows were doing well with viewership

por they would have been gone long ago.

Wonder if Soap was so, so very bad, how did TV end up with what passes inspection nowadays?

Where will it end? I remember back decades ago when my, still favorite show, "Soap the Comedy", was pulled because it was so offensive. To whom?  The earlier version of the PC police, which knew it would destroy the morality in the USA.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't think they should be pulled because it impacts everyone else on the show.

Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. Controversial racial. Please leave out of discussion going forward.

Honored Contributor

I also wish the stations would get their facts straight before they air all these cases.  They rush to scoop their competition and then if their info is wrong, it's too late because the first reports determine so much.

Just today, I heard two different lawyers explain what happened in the Cosby case currently being discussed and the reports were TOTALLY different.  I certainly don't think the man is in any way an innocent, but I do think the media has a responsibility to report correctly and now I really have no idea what the truth is about today's story.

Not sure what the facts are in the Subway spokesman's situation is either.  Lots of heat, but no facts that make him the guilty party ---yet, but whether he is or isn't, he's already lost.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm good with Cosby and Dukes being pulled.  Waiting to hear the Duggars have been axed as well.

Has Jared been implicated ?