Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

What about the Clinton Foundation?  I'm sure they are helping.

the clinton foundation has been active in puerto rico even before the hurricane hit.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

GOOD NEWS:

The shipping restrictions on delivering life-saving supplies to Puerto Rico have been waived!  Finally.

________________________________________________-

That is good, but they have thousands of containers full of water, diesel, food, and other relief supplies just sitting there because they can't get it distributed out to the people.

Time to send a big military effort down there.  They need truck drivers...the army has multiple mechanized units so they could drive trucks and develop convoys.

Bridges are out, the military can put up mobile bridges in very little time.

Radar is out at the airport, we have mobile radar units that can be set up on the spot in all kinds of geographic locations.

They also need to get a large number of big helicopters down there to drop those supplies in to the harder to reach areas.

I think Ft. Campbell has deployed a group of Black Hawk helicopters and some soldiers down there, so hopefully they will get a move on and send more military units down there.

They probably need a military commander on site to start coordinating all of those efforts.  Time to turn this over to the Department of Defense.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Puerto Ricans pay federal taxes to America.

They deserve the same federal assistance as Texas and Florida. 

According to PR's governor, he's having daily contact with the President since the hurricane and is satisfied with the Federal help.

I'm not sure why people are insisting that the Feds are ignoring/abandoning/otherwise not doing "enough."

What is your evidence that the Feds don't care about PR?  That they are still suffering?  Well, I'm afraid they will be for quite some time.  They suffered quite a bit of damage and it won't all be reconstructed by next week.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I donated $ specifically for Puerto Rico through the charity created by all our living ex-presidents. It was bad enough to see the devastation in Texas and in Florida but at least those victims had places where they could evacuate. Puerto Rico is an island. The people have nowhere to go except the mainland. Those who can afford it and have the strength to wait on endlessly long lines at the airport until they can leave will evacuate. The poor and infirm will be stuck.

I appreciate the media reminding us that Puerto Rico is part of the USA. After a category 5 hurricane assaulted the island,it is cruel to point to their pre-Maria financial and infrastructure problems. No structure c iould survive the power of that storm. Just look at the photos of the Hurricane Andrew aftermath in FL to be reminded of what a powerful hurricane can do. 

the island's financial mismanagement of years past means they cannot borrow to rebuild in the bond markets like well positioned states like FL and TX will do.   this is reality.   how are they to pay for a complete island rebuild? therein lies their challenge. 

it is not necessarily THEIR challenge, but also OUR challenge.

I agree @sunshine45

They should be treated the same as Texas and Florida imo.  They are American citizens AND they pay federal American taxes.

Individual citizens do NOT pay Federal income tax - they pay tax to their commonwealth.  The "Federal" taxes they pay are social security and medicare - which they then get back in benefits.  

And again, what, specifically is your evidence that the Federal government is treating them differently than TX and FL?

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting

Respected Contributor

@game-on wrote:

I have heard that a large amt of young people from Puerto Rico serve in our military.  In my mind, these folks are Americans in every sense of the word!

Who, at the federal level is claiming that they are not Americans - or refusing to help them?

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

GOOD NEWS:

The shipping restrictions on delivering life-saving supplies to Puerto Rico have been waived!  Finally.

________________________________________________-

That is good, but they have thousands of containers full of water, diesel, food, and other relief supplies just sitting there because they can't get it distributed out to the people.

Time to send a big military effort down there.  They need truck drivers...the army has multiple mechanized units so they could drive trucks and develop convoys.

Bridges are out, the military can put up mobile bridges in very little time.

Radar is out at the airport, we have mobile radar units that can be set up on the spot in all kinds of geographic locations.

They also need to get a large number of big helicopters down there to drop those supplies in to the harder to reach areas.

I think Ft. Campbell has deployed a group of Black Hawk helicopters and some soldiers down there, so hopefully they will get a move on and send more military units down there.

They probably need a military commander on site to start coordinating all of those efforts.  Time to turn this over to the Department of Defense.

Absolutely! @pitdakota

TEN THOUSAND shipping containers of supplies are being held at the port.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Puerto Ricans pay federal taxes to America.

They deserve the same federal assistance as Texas and Florida. 

According to PR's governor, he's having daily contact with the President since the hurricane and is satisfied with the Federal help.

I'm not sure why people are insisting that the Feds are ignoring/abandoning/otherwise not doing "enough."

What is your evidence that the Feds don't care about PR?  That they are still suffering?  Well, I'm afraid they will be for quite some time.  They suffered quite a bit of damage and it won't all be reconstructed by next week.

Are you kidding?  It took more than a week to at least waive the Jones bill so ships could deliver supplies. It was waived immediately for Florida and Texas.

@Isobel Archer

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

What about the Clinton Foundation?  I'm sure they are helping.

@Isobel Archer

A lot of people are helping but American bureaucracy is holding up delivery.

Again, I'd like to see evidence of that.  I know there were issues with the Navy sending in the USNS Comfort because initially, the ports couldn't handle the large ship.  But that is being resolved.  Not sure what else is being delayed/refused.

It is a different situation from TX/FL because they can't just send trucks in and ships take longer - altho as the PR Governor confirmed, the President already had ships on hand ready to provide aid after the hurricane.  I'm not sure what the issues have been with airport landing availability.  I'm sure it was a priority to restore runways so that help could arrive.

It's also a different situation because of the extent of damage they received as compared with TX/FL - and with their financial problems.

I have little doubt that before they is over they will have received help that is many magnitudes over the help that TX/FL receives - and I have no problem with that.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I donated $ specifically for Puerto Rico through the charity created by all our living ex-presidents. It was bad enough to see the devastation in Texas and in Florida but at least those victims had places where they could evacuate. Puerto Rico is an island. The people have nowhere to go except the mainland. Those who can afford it and have the strength to wait on endlessly long lines at the airport until they can leave will evacuate. The poor and infirm will be stuck.

I appreciate the media reminding us that Puerto Rico is part of the USA. After a category 5 hurricane assaulted the island,it is cruel to point to their pre-Maria financial and infrastructure problems. No structure c iould survive the power of that storm. Just look at the photos of the Hurricane Andrew aftermath in FL to be reminded of what a powerful hurricane can do. 

the island's financial mismanagement of years past means they cannot borrow to rebuild in the bond markets like well positioned states like FL and TX will do.   this is reality.   how are they to pay for a complete island rebuild? therein lies their challenge. 

it is not necessarily THEIR challenge, but also OUR challenge.

I agree @sunshine45

They should be treated the same as Texas and Florida imo.  They are American citizens AND they pay federal American taxes.

Individual citizens do NOT pay Federal income tax - they pay tax to their commonwealth.  The "Federal" taxes they pay are social security and medicare - which they then get back in benefits.  

And again, what, specifically is your evidence that the Federal government is treating them differently than TX and FL?

@Isobel Archer

i already said they did not pay income tax.

Please read more carefully.  The pay other fed taxes, in the billions per year.