Regular Contributor
What is the current style for puddling drapes? I bought some ikea panels for my tall great room windows. They are puddling 3-4 inches. Do I need to hem these? They are a mostly cotton material and most puddling seems to be with a curtain of a thinner material. I wish I could post pictures, but even tho I've inquired in here numerous time no one has responded. Thoughts?
Honored Contributor
I wish I could help you but we're a no drapes or curtains house. Wood blinds only.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I prefer hemmed drapes because I can never get a good look with puddling.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

I don't have drapes, but I do have beautiful sheers I purchased in JCPenney with plain valances. I tried puddling, but found it to be a constant "job" to get them to look good. Mine were also in the 3-5 inch range. After trying to get them to look right, I had them hemmed to about an inch above the floor. I think they look much better and neater without all the hassle everytime I vacuumed. Puddling always looked beautiful in magazines, but not in my home!

Honored Contributor

If you want them puddled, that's up to you whether it's a current trend or not. If it were me, I'd hem them because I wouldn't want to risk them getting s*ucked up in the vacuum.

Regular Contributor
I know I should do what I like. But if puddling isn't "in" it will look like know to hem my drapes lol! I don't sew, but could easily have them hemmed but am not sure where they should fall. I really would like to puddle them....just easier because I'm lazy?!?!
Honored Contributor

msme ...If you like them puddled, then puddle them. It's your home and should be what you want it to be.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} You don't have to be "in fashion" to enjoy your home, you just need to be comfy.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

I'm not a big "puddler" and always thought they looked weird. Plus, I vacuum often and wouldn't want the hassle of having to re-puddle them every time.

However, if you like the look, do it. Design and fashion changes all of the time, so it should be what you want and are comfortable with.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

I live in a 600 sq. ft. apartment with one window (in my bedroom). The living room has sliding glass doors with vertical blinds (which I've always disliked but I can't change them).

The bedroom window has mini-blinds. I haven't used curtains or draperies in years, my last few places that I've lived I had wooden roman shades and/or just valances. I don't like curtains and drapes anymore.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 4/13/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

If you want them puddled, that's up to you whether it's a current trend or not. If it were me, I'd hem them because I wouldn't want to risk them getting s*ucked up in the vacuum.

Or risk the cat (who is IN the puddle) getting s*ucked up in the vacuum!!! Hee