Valued Contributor

Re: Publix was the emptiest it’s ever been today.

@RhondaRena @Mindy D 

@Xivambala  @PinkyPetunia 

Totally agree that Plain cream cheese has not been stocked at Publix in SoFl.
I have been to  3 Publix stores nin Weston and 1 in Boynton Beach.

They all had flavored but no plain, any brand. My bagel is not happy.

@Mindy D  I could not get a parking spot at one of my Publix stores! It was packed.......with Trick or Treaters! 

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Scary isn't it?  

I won't say anymore than that.

It is also just unbelievable.  

@Jinlei  @CelticCrafter 

Why unbelievable?  The word is going through major Pandemic, for which we were, sadly, unprepared.  Some small changes at the grocery store seem pretty believable to me. 

We live in a land of plenty, we are used to having it all.  A few minor changes are not scary, simply inconvenient.

I believe most Americans are resilient enough to cope.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

A few observations that I have made. 

Prices have definitely increased. 

Last Saturday I went to the Super Walmart in my area and although there were empty shelves, I saw employees on many aisles restocking shelves. There were items that were my first choice to purchase that were not available, but i just moved on to my second choice.  

Yesterday, I went to lunch with a girlfriend. We drove in one car because we were heading to the Marina, which was about an hours drive away. We are both former military so after a yummy lunch. :-) We stopped at the exchange and the commissary before heading home. She was able to pick up all of the items that she wanted, and although I did not really need anything I picked up a few more items. I did see empty shelves, but it really did not freak me out. 

Last observation. I was heading into work last Monday, and I was at a point where you are in the stop and go traffic on the freeway. My mind was sort of wandering and I started counting trucks on the opposite side of the freeway. Tons and I mean Tons of 18 wheeler trucks.  Then I started paying attention to the ones that were on the same side of the freeway as I was. I saw so many Trucks, that I find it hard to mesh with what I am reading about the problems at the ports with how many trucks are out their obviously moving products. 

I guess I mention this to say that I am not going to get twisted up about what is currently going on.  I am not even remotely close to feeling what I  felt last year when everything first started shutting down. I do not have that same sense of panic about not having enough. My experience has been that there is enough. 

Esteemed Contributor

No problem here in Snellville Georgia. The two Publix in my area are fully stocked.

Checked with my family in Plantation Fl and no problem there either.

The only problem I have with Publix is that they are now selling Einstein Bagels and I prefer the Publix Brand.

Nothing like NY Bagels although Einstein Bagels says they are.  They are not.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

A few observations that I have made. 

Prices have definitely increased. 

Last Saturday I went to the Super Walmart in my area and although there were empty shelves, I saw employees on many aisles restocking shelves. There were items that were my first choice to purchase that were not available, but i just moved on to my second choice.  

Yesterday, I went to lunch with a girlfriend. We drove in one car because we were heading to the Marina, which was about an hours drive away. We are both former military so after a yummy lunch. :-) We stopped at the exchange and the commissary before heading home. She was able to pick up all of the items that she wanted, and although I did not really need anything I picked up a few more items. I did see empty shelves, but it really did not freak me out. 

Last observation. I was heading into work last Monday, and I was at a point where you are in the stop and go traffic on the freeway. My mind was sort of wandering and I started counting trucks on the opposite side of the freeway. Tons and I mean Tons of 18 wheeler trucks.  Then I started paying attention to the ones that were on the same side of the freeway as I was. I saw so many Trucks, that I find it hard to mesh with what I am reading about the problems at the ports with how many trucks are out their obviously moving products. 

I guess I mention this to say that I am not going to get twisted up about what is currently going on.  I am not even remotely close to feeling what I  felt last year when everything first started shutting down. I do not have that same sense of panic about not having enough. My experience has been that there is enough. 

@icezeus  you are so right. I'm wondering where the people live that can't find what they are looking for? Are they just listening to people or looking for themselves.

Went to Walmart today for toilet paper, so many choices but I went for my favorites. Stop listening to people and look for yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

@RhondaRena @Mindy D 

@Xivambala  @PinkyPetunia 

Totally agree that Plain cream cheese has not been stocked at Publix in SoFl.
I have been to  3 Publix stores nin Weston and 1 in Boynton Beach.

They all had flavored but no plain, any brand. My bagel is not happy.

@Mindy D  I could not get a parking spot at one of my Publix stores! It was packed.......with Trick or Treaters! 

@Zaimee  oh no, please stop. You are making me miss Fl. I would only eat plain cream cheese. That's all my  bagel needed. Lived in Sunrise FL for years and then lived on Campus at NovaSoutheastern University in Davie for years. Publix was our favorite.

Even now I love the plain and got it at Publix in Snellville Georgia today.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Scary isn't it?  

@Jinlei  @CelticCrafter 

Why unbelievable?  The word is going through major Pandemic, for which we were, sadly, unprepared.  Some small changes at the grocery store seem pretty believable to me. 

We live in a land of plenty, we are used to having it all.  A few minor changes are not scary, simply inconvenient.

@Drythe it's not just groceries...and I'm not referring to Christmas being ruined.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got back from my weekly trip to Wegmans. Store was more or less fully stocked. Didn't notice any empty shelves that couldn't be attributed to lack of staff to stock them. There were employees with boxes filling shelves as usual.

Yes, I totally agree that prices have increased drastically and some brands are not readily available. However, I think in time it will correct itself if everyone doesn't get all crazy and riiled up.

A Facebook group I belong to had and discussion about this subject. One woman was so incensed that she said that she sat her 12 year old child down and told her of "the dangers, upheaval and violence to come" due to these things.  All radical political ranting that I'm not sure a 12 year old understands. Apparently the subject totally triggered her. Why was she so upset? Because she had to go to three stores in order to find her edamame. Yes, edamame. I suppose different products are important to different people, but IMO a rather dramatic over-reaction. 

IMO, people need to calm down a little bit and make do with substitutions the best we can. The more panic there is, the worse any shortages will be. We'll be okay eventually.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Scary isn't it?  

@Jinlei  @CelticCrafter 

@Drythe it's not just groceries...and I'm not referring to Christmas being ruined.

@CelticCrafter   

Personally don’t believe Christmas has been, or can be ‘ruined’, guess it depends on one’s values.  Odd you brought it up though, as I made no mention of the Holiday.

I know to what you were referring in your not so cryptic OP.  Some think It clever to slip in with those digs, I see it as baiting, and inflammatory.  You thought so too, otherwise, you no need for your remark ‘I’ll say no more about that’

We each have our our own opinions.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Scary isn't it?  

@Jinlei  @CelticCrafter 

@CelticCrafter   

Personally don’t believe Christmas has been, or can be ‘ruined’, guess it depends on one’s values.  Odd you brought it up though, as I made no mention of the Holiday.

I know to what you were referring in your not so cryptic OP.  Some think It clever to slip in with those digs, I see it as baiting, and inflammatory.  You thought so too, otherwise, you no need for your remark ‘I’ll say no more about that’

We each have our our own opinions.

Medicine, medical supplies, diabetics that need testing supplies - none of that is being mentioned, only Christmas.  
I guess that's just an inconvenience and people need to adjust and make changes accordingly?