Respected Contributor

Re: Publix was the emptiest it’s ever been today.

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

No Publix around here. The two stores we use are stocked. Husband also goes to Costco and came home with everything on the list but I didn’t ask him if the store was fully stocked or if there were empty shelves.

I just googled to see where Publix has stores. Nothing close to us.

Our store HEB only had one item missing from our order. It was an HEB product sold only in their stores. I do not allow substitutions. We didn't order from the other grocer we use this week, but last week they were missing 2 or 3 items. Again, I didn't give them the opportunity to make substitutions.

I hope this means Publix just had a busy weekend, and the stock level will improve this next week.

Respected Contributor

When you say Publix was empty, I assume you mean the one store at which you usually shop.  Have you tried other stores in your area?  

I ask because Publix tends to saturate their markets and there are often many stores in a small area.  I used to spend lots of time in the Clearwater FL area and there were Publix stores every few miles.  My town had 2, and 2 others were close.  

My point is, check out other stores locally.  I am in NJ now and saw both the Philly brand and store brand of cream cheese in stock here.

Honored Contributor

I made a grocery run this morning since tomorrow is the 1st and grocery stores will be full of first of the month shoppers all week.  

I do all of my in person grocery shopping at a privately owned IGA store.  I found everything on my list, and the store appeared ready for the first of the month crowd.   The only bare spot in the entire store was in the freezer section; NO Hungry Man frozen dinners, period.   A moderate amount of Banquet frozen dinners.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you've ever grocery-shopped early in the day, rather than afternoon, you will see hired shoppers filling crates or baskets for people who either ordered online for delivery or pick-up at the store.

I am surrounded by multiple Kroger and Publix stores plus two Walmarts,  and these shoppers who either work for the store or are sent there by individual customers are out in force.  I have to dodge them and their huge multi-basket carts all the time, just to get down an aisle.

Having watched them rapidly go from aisle to aisle filling  orders, I can see how shelves look depleted at the end of the day.  The grocery store might actually have more supplies in the back room, but doesn't have enough employees to reload the shelves. 

Just another possible dimension of the supply-chain and shortage problem.

Honored Contributor

Saturday is the worst day to grocery shop, at least where I live. You can't extrapolate random shopping anecdotes into massive countrywide food shortages, of course that won't stop some people from doing it.

I haven't seen it where I live, not lately. I was also in a Marshalls Home Goods combo store today. It was jam packed with merchandise, and with shoppers. And it was the last time I was there.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Trusted Contributor

Saw an article today that said the east coast ports are buzzing along just fine with only one backup in Charleston. Why doesn't the news mention this rather than only talking about the ports on the west coast? I think they enjoy only reporting gloom and doom news and also want to push a buying frenzy. The east coast ports unload in a few hours and goods are into trucks and moving out in a couple of days in most cases. I am not going to let the media scare me or cause needless worry. If I can't make a cherry pie, I will make an apple one. No flour? I will make Graham cracker crusts for chiffon or cream pie. We are a land of plenty and no one will starve. Even the local food banks have food, just maybe not exactly the same things as last year. 
Toys from Santa? They will be there via the creativity and early ordering of parents. If the very special one thing wanted can't be found, it will arrive later; it appears it must have fallen off his sleigh and was discovered later. We will all be fine. Don't get worked up because the store was out of eggs. Have some cereal instead. 

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D   

I went to the best large Publix in Coral Springs in the early evening today. Pretty normal. Some of the produce was thinning out, but I suspect that is due to going late on Sunday. They didn't have the 7 layer pre-made salad I wanted. They are the only store I have been able to find these in. I didn't really check out the paper products because I don't need any, however, there were no bare shelves as I was going through the store. Since people have been talking about cream cheese, I did look there. Only tubs available now. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

No Publix around here. The two stores we use are stocked. Husband also goes to Costco and came home with everything on the list but I didn’t ask him if the store was fully stocked or if there were empty shelves.

@proudlyfromNJ 

not too far away from you down in the baltimore area. we have not really had any issues with low stock or no stock on anything. i go to the grocery store and can pretty much find everything that i need or want. i shop at GIANT, SAFEWAY, SAMS CLUB,  and FRESH MARKET. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

not too far away from you down in the baltimore area. we have not really had any issues with low stock or no stock on anything. i go to the grocery store and can pretty much find everything that i need or want. i shop at GIANT, SAFEWAY, SAMS CLUB,  and FRESH MARKET. 

@sunshine45  Yes, we do have Fresh Market. We like many of their products. Our regular stores we use are Shop Rite and Wegmans.

Trusted Contributor

The people filling orders for online shoppers are really hard to navigate around in WM. They will have more than a dozen orders to fill on a huge cart...hard to even get around it, when I see one on an aisle, I skip that one and go back before I leave.