Esteemed Contributor

Re: Publix (Supermarket)

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma  You really got my mouth watering, those tomatoes are so incredible.  I'm originally from Nassau County and I had my own veggie garden when I was just a kid.  Peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, the basic stuff.

I forgot how delicious everything was until two years ago when my friend and I bought tomatoes, corn, etc. from the farm stand right near her home in central NJ.  It's a shame that in Florida, with all this sun, we can't get good produce.  It's basically tasteless and even if you go to the produce stand, it's not much better than the grocery store.

The Farmer's Markets, the roadside stands, oh, how I miss that.  I recently read an article that the reason there are no produce stands or veggie's grown in FL is because you can't grow any of it in SAND.  When my parents lived there they had a beautiful flower garden and lots of grapefruit trees.  Every year they visited me when I was living in CA and I knew the first thing out of the car was going to be a box of grapefruit.  Oh, and the aloe vera my father grew and my mother's portable sewing machine.  God I miss those two.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

I think it depends on the management.  My parents were snowbirds and had a old run down publix nearby.  Shoprite has nice stores back in CT.  My problem with shoprite is many of the workers are school age and can't answer basic questions.

@GCR18, you may be right about management, and district management as well.  Glad to hear you're happy with your Connecticut ShopRites.  About 2 years ago my ShopRite did a complete remodel.  They stayed open throughout the process.  What a nightmare.  Well sure, diapers and pickles should be in the same aisle as they were shifting things around to redo aisle after aisle.  

Bottom line, now my ShopRite is right back to too many displays clogging up aisles, too few people keeping it clean and same old employees not willing to help.

The Publix in New Smyrna Beach has been closed for almost a year undergoing a whole new redo.  Anxious to see it once they reopen.  Currently the other two I shop at are up-to-date and truly immaculate - as grocery stores should be.  LuLu

I am in NSB right now, and the Publix on 3rd St. is very nice!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

The Farmer's Markets, the roadside stands, oh, how I miss that.  I recently read an article that the reason there are no produce stands or veggie's grown in FL is because you can't grow any of it in SAND.  When my parents lived there they had a beautiful flower garden and lots of grapefruit trees.  Every year they visited me when I was living in CA and I knew the first thing out of the car was going to be a box of grapefruit.  Oh, and the aloe vera my father grew and my mother's portable sewing machine.  God I miss those two.

I sure would like to know where to find that article.

Excerpts from https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Agriculture-Industry/Florida-Agriculture-Overview-and-Statistics

Excerpt 1:  In 2017, Florida had 47,000 commercial farms and ranches, using a total of 9.45 million acres. Florida ranked first in the U.S. in value of production of cucumbers, grapefruit, oranges, squash, sugarcane, fresh market snap beans, and fresh market tomatoes. The state ranked second in value of production of bell peppers, strawberries, watermelons, fresh market cabbage and fresh market sweet corn. Florida also ranked fourth nationally in the value of production of peanuts.

Excerpt 2: 

The 2017 value of production for the seven major vegetable crops, potatoes, berries and watermelons totaled $1.616 billion, up $13 million from 2016. The ranking from the highest to lowest value of the berry, vegetable and melon crops is:

1. Strawberries
  2. Tomatoes
  3. Bell peppers
  4. Sweet corn
  5. Cucumbers
  6. Watermelons
  7. Potatoes
  8. Blueberries
  9. Snap beans
  10. Sweet potatoes

Excerpt 3:  In 2017, Florida ranked third among U.S. states, with agricultural exports topping $4 billion, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
Hey, to all of you Wegman's shoppers in NY - where are they? I live in Northern Westchester County and don't know of them. The closest Trader Joe's to me is in White Plains. When I was working in the area I would go to them on my lunch hour, but don't want to hassle with the traffic now. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. TIA, LuLu

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 Right now the closest Wegmans to you is the one in Montvale NJ. It will be a few years until it opens, but they are building one in West Harrison right there in Westchester County. 

Regular Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ That's the one I go to. 5 minutes from my house. They will be building an other Wegmans in West Harrison, in Westchester.

Honored Contributor

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ That's the one I go to. 5 minutes from my house. They will be building an other Wegmans in West Harrison, in Westchester.

Hi @NigelSparkles   I am 5 minutes also. R. County.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Publix (Supermarket)

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I sure would like to know where to find that article.

Excerpts from https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Agriculture-Industry/Florida-Agriculture-Overview-and-Statistics

Excerpt 1:  In 2017, Florida had 47,000 commercial farms and ranches, using a total of 9.45 million acres. Florida ranked first in the U.S. in value of production of cucumbers, grapefruit, oranges, squash, sugarcane, fresh market snap beans, and fresh market tomatoes. The state ranked second in value of production of bell peppers, strawberries, watermelons, fresh market cabbage and fresh market sweet corn. Florida also ranked fourth nationally in the value of production of peanuts.

Excerpt 2: 

The 2017 value of production for the seven major vegetable crops, potatoes, berries and watermelons totaled $1.616 billion, up $13 million from 2016. The ranking from the highest to lowest value of the berry, vegetable and melon crops is:

1. Strawberries
  2. Tomatoes
  3. Bell peppers
  4. Sweet corn
  5. Cucumbers
  6. Watermelons
  7. Potatoes
  8. Blueberries
  9. Snap beans
  10. Sweet potatoes

Excerpt 3:  In 2017, Florida ranked third among U.S. states, with agricultural exports topping $4 billion, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Thank you @Marp.  Glad to see we live in the same Florida!   We have plenty of great produce in Central Florida.

Regular Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ That where I am too. Hi neighbor!

Honored Contributor

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ That where I am too. Hi neighbor!

@NigelSparkles   Well, goodness. Hi back at you neighbor.

Valued Contributor

We moved to Sarasota, Florida 6 yrs ago from Westchester Cty, Briarcliff, NY.

I agree the prices in Florida are ridiculous. I miss Shoprite. What I also miss are the competition between supermarkets. Where I lived there was Shoprite, A&P, Key Food, Food Emporium and Gristides. In Florida, there is Publix and that's it for supermarkets. We have Whole Foods and Fresh Market, but you wouldn't do your main shopping there. There is no competition so Publix is everywhere and can get away with charging anything they want.

In NY there were great Italian Deli's where you got sausage, cold cuts, breads, etc. Here, forget it. A few deli's which are lousy. Can't get good Italian meats or food.

Publix is, to me, sterile, too neat, overpriced and I find the whole atmosphere annoying. When I check out at a supermarket, I don't like chatting with the checker. I don't like feeling you have to because they ask you a million questions...'so how are you today?...'oh, looks like you are having company'....'oh, I love these (as she holds up a box of cookies'.