Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
Hey, to all of you Wegman's shoppers in NY - where are they? I live in Northern Westchester County and don't know of them. The closest Trader Joe's to me is in White Plains. When I was working in the area I would go to them on my lunch hour, but don't want to hassle with the traffic now. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. TIA, LuLu

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 . I live in NY across the river from you. My Wegmans is in Montvale NJ right across the NY border. 

Valued Contributor
@proudlyfromNJ, thanks! Sounds like a trip DH will have to drive me to. I was in a wicked bad car accident 5 years ago (not my fault and I was hurt pretty bad, despite wearing a seat belt and six airbags deploying) and I've become a weenie about driving in heavy traffic. The Tappan Zee Bridge (oops, sorry, The Mario Cuomo Bridge) definitely qualifies as a no go driving for me.
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ, thanks! Sounds like a trip DH will have to drive me to. I was in a wicked bad car accident 5 years ago (not my fault and I was hurt pretty bad, despite wearing a seat belt and six airbags deploying) and I've become a weenie about driving in heavy traffic. The Tappan Zee Bridge (oops, sorry, The Mario Cuomo Bridge) definitely qualifies as a no go driving for me.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 . Oh no your accident sounds terrible. What an awful thing to happen. I would also have my husband drive. Hope you get to Wegmans sometime.

Honored Contributor

Hey, to all of you Wegman's shoppers in NY - where are they? I live in Northern Westchester County and don't know of them. The closest Trader Joe's to me is in White Plains. When I was working in the area I would go to them on my lunch hour, but don't want to hassle with the traffic now. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. TIA, LuLu

Wegmans' New York stores are in Western NY: Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Finger Lakes, and Southern Tier.  However, they're planning a store in Westchester County - Harrison, 106-110 Corporate Park Drive.  They haven't yet listed an opening date, so maybe it's still in planning stages.

Valued Contributor
@proudlyfromNJ, thanks for your kind words. I was making a left turn at a green arrow while some fool going straight on a 45 MPH road (and was doing 85 mph in a much bigger car than mine) ran a red light, hit me, pushed me into two other cars and twirled me around so many times I thought I was Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz in the middle of a twister. He tried to get away, but it wasn't his lucky day, thankfully. I never liked driving, but I still do it, but not anywhere there's heavy traffic and no longer further than 20-25 miles from home. LuLu
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Publix (Supermarket)

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @homedecor1   I've lived in S. Florida for 33 years and for all but the last 6-8 years,  Publix had little to no competition.  It's wasn't like up north with so many different shopping choices.  Winn Dixie was always here but was inferior to Publix in every way.  Albertsons left here ages ago.

Walmart  and Target came along with in store groceries with low prices and then Walmart opened their Neighborhood Market stores everywhere they didn't have a superstore.

Then supermarkets cropped up to serve the Latin shoppers (Publix opened strictly Latin stores but failed and they closed).  Next, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's opened up here.

Now Aldi has been here for 5 or more years and they're giving Walmart and Publix a run for their money.  Lidl, another European chain like Aldi is scheduled to come into this market next.

Because of all this competition, Publix is cheaper than they used to be.  Since they are the largest privately owned corporation in the state of Florida, I hope they can survive. They have never had to compete with all these other companies. I think they are having a harder time than they've ever had before.

Eta-  Produce prices are higher here because our second largest industry, agriculture, exports all our best produce, and we get the leftovers at the highest price. Tomatoes, etc, have no flavor because our soil is basically sand,

And there is nothing like a Jersey beefstake tomato or NJ or NY fresh corn.  If you haven't had it, it's hard to describe the incredible taste.  Delish!

@Harvard99 

Born and raised in NY...the tomatoes my father grew along with a whole bunch of other veggie's in our garden on Long Island where we had our summer house, could have won a prize.  Imagine picking a beefsteak tomato right off the vine from the warm sun and eating it.  Heaven.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  You really got my mouth watering, those tomatoes are so incredible.  I'm originally from Nassau County and I had my own veggie garden when I was just a kid.  Peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, the basic stuff.

I forgot how delicious everything was until two years ago when my friend and I bought tomatoes, corn, etc. from the farm stand right near her home in central NJ.  It's a shame that in Florida, with all this sun, we can't get good produce.  It's basically tasteless and even if you go to the produce stand, it's not much better than the grocery store.

Valued Contributor

We live in NC and Publix came here about 2 years ago. I had always gone to Harris Teeter but Publix is much cleaner looking and the employees are so friendly and helpful. I don't think I have ever passed one stocking shelves who didn't stop and say hello! They make grocery shopping a much more pleasant experience!

Esteemed Contributor

I have only been to a  Publix one time while I was on vacation in Florida, and the people were very helpful.  I needed something, cannot remember what, but I do remember receiving excellent assistance.  The store was also very clean.

In my area, we have about 5 Shoprites that one family owns.  They carry everything and the employees are older.  While their prices are not the lowest, I know that if there is anything that is the least bit unusual, I can find it at one of their stores.  The stores, for the most part, are very clean, and the stores are huge.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Publix "where shopping is a pleasure".